1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just wanted to share this

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by eleanor296, Apr 26, 2010.

1. eleanor296

eleanor296

Jan 19, 2009
    Hey guys,

my first thread on here, been a lurker for a good while. :ninja:

Just wanted to share a couple experiences with you guys that have really changed the way I see myself as a musician.

I am 19 years old and in college, then last semester, after being rather disappointed with the local "college" music scene (crappy bands, let's leave it at that) I tried out for a drummer/keys duo who needed a guitarist. 57/40 years old respectively, and great musicians. The keys player has a really good voice, and they both have a huge stack of songs to draw from. After play with them for a while and learning song after song after song... everything from Beatles over Steve Miller, The Moody Blues, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, ZZ Top to Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Mellencamp, Jet, Lynyrd Skynyrd... and it's been a great experience.

I came from a progressive/symphonic metal background (I'm from Germany, moved to the US a couple years ago, but that kind of metal is really big over there, and you all know it's hard to lose your musical roots), and while I miss writing originals or rearranging classical pieces in a metal context, once we got a bassist (also 57) and started gigging, it became a lot of fun, and even though we may seem like we play the "same old stuff", we seem to go over really well and are working our way upward fast.

Pay is starting to be really good as well... I might be able to get by without a part time job if this keeps up the way it does.

What I also like is how we play songs of all different difficulty levels (remember I'm on guitar)... so while Tom Petty is certainly rather easy, we also do Time and Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd, both of which go over HUGE (something else I didn't expect).

I have also learned to develop an ear for vocal harmonies, since we do a lot of 3 and 4 part vocals, which really sets us apart from the other bands gigging the same circle.

Lastly, they also have some great originals down their sleeve, all very different from each other, and they have allowed me pretty much free reign with what I'd like to add to the parts guitar-wise. We sneak some of them in here or there, and people love them as well. Rather shocking actually.

I still miss working on originals for days at a time sometimes, but I have to say that this is probably one of the best musical opportunities I've had so far apart from the want to learn multiple instruments, and of course there's a lot to learn from guys that much older and experienced.
    So let's just say life is good :hyper: and I've really grown as a musician.

2. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    I am from Spain and 21 years old.

While I prefer originals over covers, I think that it's useful to be in a cover band if it helps you:

- Earn money to pay for better equipment.
    - Improve your technique while playing with good musicians.
    - Improve your "stage attitude" (don't really know how to say this, does it make any sense?).
    - Let you know a bunch of interesting people (other musicians from the town, club managers, music journalists, etc).

If you get those "supplies" from your cover band you can "feed" your originals band with those. From what I read in your post, you're getting all of those, so congrats, man!!!!

Sorry for my poor English...

3. robthegaff

robthegaff

Nov 29, 2009
    Ireland
    Sounds good. It's sweet when things work out well. i'm 19 too :hyper: ... but I dont have a paying covers band.. All originals, means the money's much thinner on the ground but I'm happy with it. Enjoy it!!