Just wanting to know?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Philip71, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Philip71

Jul 23, 2004
    So how long after you picked up your first bass and started lessons and practicing did it take before you were in a band and playing gigs?......I'm just curious about this.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    In a band? About three weeks.

Gigging? About 4 years. Of course, about three and a half of those were spent in a town where musicians and bands were a source amusement, and not much else. Once I moved to a bigger town, I was in a band inside of three weeks, and gigging after about 5ish months (most of which were spent looking for a suitable vocalist).

3. +1.
  4. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Um, if you wanna call it band...uh, my youth group band...the same week I got my bass. Only song I played that day during youth group was 'Jesus be Glorified', and then my friend went into worship and I kinda spent the time trying to both worship God and play a song/instrument I was completely new to. I did one of those things right... :p
  5. I was in a band as soon as I got my first bass. That's why I bought a bass to begin with, nobody else had one :) It was just me and a few of my friends beating out cover tunes in the back of a trailer park, but it was fun at the time. Gigs? That's a broad term, I guess it was a few years and a couple bands later that I actually played for a crowd, and probably 9 or 10 years after I started playing before I ever had a paying gig. Most of that is due to where I live though. In a town with a music scene, I probably would have moved up a lot quicker.
  6. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    i joined a bluegrass band, simultaneously picking up the bass.
    we gigged soon after...by 'soon' i mean within a couple months.
    sure fooled them...:D
  7. I received my first bass when I was 13 or 14 years old, but I'm still working on a band. My friend is a drummer, but we can't find a good guitarist or singer who enjoys classic rock. Although, one kid (guitarist) did switch over from a BC Rich warlock (horrible) to an Ibanez Artcore. Maybe something will happen! :rolleyes: Surprisingly, there are more bass players in high school then there are guitarists. :smug:

A lot of people don't pick up a guitar or bass to learn music. They just want to become popular. :meh:
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Got my bass when I was 12. Started playing it when I was 14 (March 02,) started lessons that September, joined my first band June 04, that band broke up February 05, got a call for a jazz gig and assembled a band 3 days beforehand, then another one the following Saturday (this past one.)

2 years between lessons and first band, 3 between lessons and gigs. Those are probably the last gigs for a while, as the scene around here for jazz (and youth jazz in particular) is REALLY dry.
  9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I was in a band before I even bought my first bass! I was writing songs and helping with arrangements for some friends of mine. They couldn't find a bassist and they kept bugging me to try bass. At that time I had never even held a bass guitar. Long story short, I bought a bass and haven't looked back! We were gigging within 6 months.
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    My bass, and rig was given to me to take the place of the current bass player who lost interest. So, I was in a band from day one. My first gig was two weeks after I got my gear. The rest of the band was really talented, so they helped me along and covered my mistakes.