Just watched Jaco's documentary

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass'd on a true story, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Bass'd on a true story

Bass'd on a true story

Jun 28, 2015
    Not even past the 30 minute mark yet...
    Sorry J.jpg

Sorry, J bass.

Edit* 7/1/2016

Here's a sound clip of a 30 second funky fretless-utilizing groove that I made up. It's a single take, don't hate.

Gear: fretless Fender MiM Jazz Deluxe (2005), Markbass Compressore, and a Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI into a crappy Presonus interface.

FretlessFunk.wav

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    Dave Neal, VitaminG, jazzy64 and 76 others like this.
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Reviewer: Bass Player Magazine
    Thank goodness you weren't watching a documentary on gold teeth and grills....

3. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Well those aren't going back in any time soon. Welcome to the smooth side...

Dave Neal, ialma, ESPweasel and 2 others like this.
  4. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I'll be waiting for the composed albums and seeing you on tour.

5. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Ravenholm
    Wasn't it a '62 Jazz or something? Are you doing it to one of those? :laugh:

6. Bass'd on a true story

Bass'd on a true story

Jun 28, 2015
    Of course it was. It is (was) an all original pre-CBS Jazz.

7. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Ravenholm
    You know you gotta post pics once it's transformed.

8. Bass'd on a true story

Bass'd on a true story

Jun 28, 2015
    I'm not certain "transformed" is the right word. Think more... "mutated" or "altered"... Recalibrated? I play flats on this bass, so it's actually already in a playable state and sounds alarmingly good. But I am not a surgeon, and welp... She be ugly, to say the least.

I'm still deciding whether or not to laminate it with something. Fretless 1.jpg Fretless 2.jpg Fretless 3.jpg

9. Bass'd on a true story

Bass'd on a true story

Jun 28, 2015
    And yes, it obviously needs to be sanded more, I just couldn't wait to play it.

gregmon79 and Leiria like this.
  10. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
    :bassist:This OP made my day.

11. Thankfully, I see you were joking on that point.

Some wood filler and then some sort of coating over the whole thing and it should be awesome!

12. Bass'd on a true story

Bass'd on a true story

Jun 28, 2015
    Jokes aside, it's somehow the best sounding fretless I've ever played, despite looking like a homeless person raided it to use the frets as nails for his cardboard house. I would also like to add that I've been thinking about doing this for a long time.

The bass is a 2005 Fender Mexican Deluxe that I paid 500 for in '05. It's been my main practice bass since I got it. It's my most comfortable instrument and I love the neck, so I figured rather than try to switch to fretless with a neck I don't like already, why not make the switch with a tried and true friend. It was a risk, but it worked out beautifully (sound wise).

Later today I will post some sound clips. It has some seriously classy mwahh oozing out already.

Bluebard, kjones and Billybladez66 like this.
  13. Use CA glue to coat that fingerboard. I found epoxy to be to difficult to work with. CA builds very slow but epoxy is applied in one thick coat. I'm working on a clients fretless and have 30 coats of CA glue on it. Take the time to fill the fret slots with a wood veneer too.
    It's all about the sanding and levelling! My finishes look like glass.

bobyoung53 and UNICORN BASS like this.
  14. Not sure what you are using, but I think TI flats sound amazing on a fretless. At least they do on my 78 P (rosewood board).

15. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Wasn't rotosound the string of choice??

Wavy, japhy4529 and Billybladez66 like this.
  16. Bass'd on a true story

Bass'd on a true story

Jun 28, 2015
    As much as I want a great finish, do you have any suggestions for cleaning up the wood filler a little bit? Towards the 19th fret, I don't think I can do much, because there was a bit of chipping, but after about the 16th fret there was almost no chipping, so I'd like to get it more uniform looking. I was worried about over sanding it, because I don't know much about how that might screw up the intonation or something.

Funny enough, these are D'Addario Chromes, which I would have given a 7/10 tonally if you had asked me pre-defret. However, now that there is no metal for them to clank and buzz against (they have a very undesirable metal on metal tone to my ear) they sound magical. I've noticed through EQing for the past few hours while I play, that mids and low mids seem to produce the most pleasings mwah, and these strings are very mid forward.

17. You could go to a lot of work patching up the chips. But, I think tthat by the time you sand the fingerboard smooth, a lot of the chip depth would be minimal. Just be sure to fill the slots entirely with the filler you're using, ootherwise the neck may become unstable.
    A few coats of super glue or epoxy (your choice) would strengthen the neck and might possibly fill in the chipping. There's heaps of info in this forum on fretless levelling. Is this your first defret? I think it's awesome you're so motivated/influenced by the documentary btw.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  18. For Jaco, yes.

Sounds a bit like TIs, so rock on!

19. Did you have to make any changes for intonation?