1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just went from a rotosound to ernie ball strings.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by duo8675309, Oct 18, 2006.

1. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    Wow. Ernie Ball strings are so... twangy. I dunno. I like it. It seems like the kind of thing that fades with time though. Like that new car smell, I guess after time they'll lose their twang and sound like my rotosounds did. I think they twanged when i first got them... no they kind of growled. Then they just kind of purred. Right before i changed them they were just... i dunno. strings. Now i go from a dull set of old strings that i've had for about half a year to brand spankin new ernie ball strings. I have more attack with my fingers on my new strings than i did with a pick on my old strings. I kind of think its a little heavy though. The twanginess. But it'll die down soon enough. And i'll just fix my eq to cover it if it doesn't go down enough. I dunno. I'm one of those people who love new things. like upgrades of old things. I'm using firefox 2.0 right now. I was happy when i got to download it. I dunno. I like upgrades. I've been thinking... I don't really have a point to this thread. I mean i kind of do. But there really isn't an underlying question or piece of advice. I just wanted to tell how my new strings sound.

I guess i'll make a question:

Anyone else love getting new strings? or anything new for that matter?

2. I'm really going nuts with strings right now. I pretty much hate them all!!!:eyebrow:

I put rotos on my jazz bass, and I couldn't wait to get them off!! They sounded great in my DAW through the headphones, but I couldn't get a sound I was happy with through the SVT at a classic rock gig. I really wanted to like them!!!

I put the elixir nanowebs back on. My jazz bass only likes Chromes and Elixirs, but I have a set of TI Flats that should be here any day now. I hope they live up to the hype that they are getting around here.

I might go back to chromes on the Jazz if the TIs don't work out. Maybe I will try the TIs on my Yamaha BB414.

What a world, what a world!:meh:

3. the twangyness will die down after a few weeks of use and then the Ernie Balls go into what I like to think of as the sweet spot. When I used them I would leave them on for around 6 months or so as they go pretty dead after that much playing...probably just from being dirty.
    I use Curt Mangan strings now...very similar to the Ernie Balls but they were willing to give me a string endorsment ;).

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I use ernie ball strings exclusively. They are twangy, and that goes away a little, but then they become incredibly punchy! They dont get that really dead feel like other strings. I find mine sound best around the 1-2 month mark.

5. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    OneWayPunk, I checked out your band's myspace page and those songs are great. My only complaint is that Where Eagles Dare does not ahve the add feature for me to add it to my personal page.

Anyway I use Curt Mangan strings as well. They are in the same vein as D'Addarios and Ernie Balls but just a touch better IMO.