Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just when a thread gets good...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JimmyM, Dec 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    ...it gets closed. Why is everyone on here so afraid of controversial topics? Afraid that someone's going to say something you disagree with? Afraid that you may (gasp) learn something? I don't get it.

I don't pretend that there is freedom of speech on a privately owned website, but I thought the whole purpose of Off Topic was to discuss things that are going on in the world. Well sorry, but the world is controversial! I would rather be offended and learn something than not be offended and not learn something. But I guess that's just me.

2. Wonder how long 'till this gets closed.

I went off on one of these tangents a while ago, but in all fairness it was only because the "Jack Murray appreciation thread" got closed. I think this forum is a bit 'soft' sometimes, but some of the people here are, too.

I always imagined saying "I saw this crap local band the other night" and someone replying saying "There's no such thing as a crap band. Every band is good in it's own right."

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    some people just don't get it.

4. Those some poeple would be us, ay?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    RIIIIIIIGHT!

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    This made me laugh A few years back I went to see an amazing Stick player named Greg Howard play in Dallas. He's from waaaay back east and doesn't get out this way often. His gig was actually arranged by the Stick player in the band that played after him.

It was sad. An amazing musician travels over a thousand miles to end up opening for a HORRIBLE local band. On the up side, they had a cool name. That's the only good thing I can say about them. They were physically painful to listen to. They had two 'vocalists'. One sounded like the Cookie Monster being dragged backward over broken glass. They other sounded like an improperly wired car horn. And I'm neither kidding nor exagerating when I describe this.: the bridge of their first song consisted of the female vocalist shrieking "EEE...AAAH...EEE...AAAH...EEE...AAAH...EEE" while Cookie Monster got down on the floor in front of the bandstand and beat a paintcan with a hammer till it was flat.

Oh the humanity.

And the critic from the local alternative weekly press LOVED them. But yes. There definitely ARE crap bands out there.

7. Haha. Great descriptions. There's a few local bands with singers in my area that would fit one of those descritions.

8. Wahey! Someone can't read the rules! "Questioning mods" ring a bell? That's a no-no.

Wanna talk controversially, send Paul $20! Easy peasy. I've been in there, it's really quite boring and repetetive.

9. "A Supporting Membership does not entitle users to any preferencial treatment, or exemption from any forum rules."

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    When you wear the word "Moderator" in your title, then I will give what you say some credence.

11. You don't get special treatment, but you do gain access to the Lobby, where you can talk all the controversy you wish.

12. OMG, you just reminded me of the time when my music class went on an excursion to this battle-of-the-bands thing that the school band (thus, by extension, me) was playing in, and during soundcheck this band came on and they had this guy who was this really bad screamo "singer", and he had long hair and everything, and Pat (the teacher) called him Cookie Monster and mimicked him in the foyer on our way out by groaning "COOOOKIEEE" in the deepest, growliest voice he could muster.

True story.

13. No one's "afraid" of a topic. Please. They're actually taking the time to read the rules of OT and abide by them. Silly, huh?

For more information on what is accepted, what is not accepted, what a Supporting Memebership is, etc....please read the forum Sticky's before assuming that we are all deathly afraid of learning something.

Mike

14. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    boring, repetitive AND closed ;)

15. maybe but i miss TPA :bawl:

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I read them, and though some of them are good, some of them are just silly, yes. I guess I have to abide by them, but I darn sure don't have to like them.

17. Made me look quite the fool! ;)

18. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    So 99.9% of the Talkbass members have no credence?

But regarding the original topic of this thread, Paul has a good reason for taking a hard stance on controversial topics..

Belive me, I´ve been here long enough to see friends turn to enemies just because of a simple politics thread.

There are a 1001 ways to misunderstand the written word via the Internet and it can be really hard to get your point correctly across. Quite different then talking face to face with another person.

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The mods are not the ones breaking the forum rules.

If you have to blame someone, blame the folks that act like the rules don't apply to them. The forum mods don't get a kick out of closing threads. We do it because we have to.

Besides, what is "good" anyway? Surely, what is "good" for you may not be so good for others. We can't please everybody all the time.

This debate could easily have been avoided if you knew the Forum Rules.

This reminds me: Many times threads get closed because some people can't help but be abrasive when they reply to someone who says something they don't like. When this happens, the thread's on a slippery slope and those who have been here long enough know there's nothing good waiting for anybody at the bottom.

Everyone regardless of status can call on bad netiquette when they see it.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    99.9% of Talkbass members have no credence when it comes to matters of forum policy, most definitely. And I refuse to take moderation by non-mods. Sorry if that's a problem, but I don't think they shouldn't be trying to do your job. And as a former moderator of forums and op of a couple channels on EFNet, nothing bugged me more than when someone with no standing tried to moderate.

Well listen, I would never run around shouting "freedom of speech" on an internet forum. I totally get the idea that it's not my house. However, if friends turn against each other over politics, then two things:

1. They're idiots.
    2. It's not anyone's problem but theirs.

But again, it's not my house, so I'll knock it off and you guys can close this thread if you want. I've stated my opinion on it and there you have it. I will say, though, that as much as I like it and as informative as it is, I think Talkbass has a tendency toward overmodding. However, since this thread has lasted this long, I must say I'm pleasantly surprised. Maybe things are loosening up a little. Or maybe you're all drunk off spiked eggnog ;)

Merry Chrismahaunakwanzika!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.