Just When I Though My Marching Band Duties Were Over...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    Last thursday, the band director told me that i had to participate in the Martin Luther King Day Parade.

I'll have to hold the banner...and march!

did i ever tell you how much i hate marching band?

my feet are going to be sore...but at least i'll know that i actually did something for the community this MLK Day (if you consider walking while holding a banner and wearing goofy garments contributing to the community).

since the parade is most likely heading through Fort Pierce (a slightly less cleanly neighboring city...that is, you can actually see that the city has a drug problem, unlike PSL), my dad suggested i wear a bullet proof vest under my marching jacket.
    don't know about you, but it had me laughing.

(my joke: Martin Luther King Day? didn't we have that LAST YEAR?)
  2. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    marching band!!! i'm a band geek...

but i absolutely HATE parades, more than anything in the world. one time i marched with my bass guitar and someone pushed my amp on a cart thing for me... that wasn't bad, but it was stupid.
    about wearing the bullet proof vest--i donno if yours are like this, but our uniforms are THICK enough to be bullet proof vests.
  3. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i'm so glad i didn't actually have to play...

in fact, i didn't even have to march in time (although i should've at least tried to).

it was so boring, yet i actually found it more fun than playing at a competition. no hectic loading or unloading or scrambling to turn the amp on in time or annoying damn buzzing in the amp or crappy cords that emit hipitched squeaking when the bass is moved...

just an hour long walk

luckily, i didn't have to wear uniforms either. yeah, i would've dehydrated so fast (it's really the summer in florida).

i would mind to type the anecdotes, but...it just isn't worth it.
  4. ::geezer voice on::

Ahh, quit yer whinin'. When I was your age....

::geezer voice off::

Rock on
  5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    This one time, at band camp.........

Sorry I just watched American Pie 2:D

I remember the good ol' days of marching band. I thought it was pretty fun. It must've been tiring for the drummers and sousaphone's though.
  6. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Don't feel lonely in hating parades. I played electric bass for my school's show check out some pics at www.jeffbands.org then click around to find marchin band pics-i'm the one with the pilot plus 5 & mexi jazz. Back to the subject. I have to play crash cymbals for parades since they won't let me march bass. BTW we did the hollywood christmas parade-experience great, parade-they need to watch the horses more carefully. thats all
  7. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I've never been in a marching band, but i've never liked them. To me, they seem more show than music. Out of all marching bands i've heard, there are two dynamic levels: FFF and FFFF.
  8. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    Back in the day, when I was in high school marching band playing trombone (19, uh, 8-, uh, when was that?:eek: ) we did this march in Disney World. Being from Kansas and not knowing anything about the infamous Florida heat...well, let's just say band uniforms and humidity DON'T mix well. Ugh.

Reading this thread I remember that one Woody Allen flick that had Woody say that he played 'cello in marching band, cutting to a shot of him marching with his 'cello, then sitting down for 2 seconds and playing, then ubruptly getting up and marching, then 2 seconds of playing, repeat over and over...one of the funniest moments in all his flicks. That and Christopher Walken's cameo in "Annie Hall".

...oh yeah, sorry for all the mispells here!:eek:
  9. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    if marching band taught me one thing, it's that i really like my free time.

the band director asked me if i wanted to play bass in the pit "orchestra" for the school's upcoming musical. i asked how much time i would have to put into practices, and he took that that as a "no." fine with me!

i mean, i just sacrificed 9.5 weeks of my own time to play music that i don't like with people that i don't really like. what more can be demanded from me?

i'll play in next year's musical though (and NO MARCHING BAND).