1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just when I thought I couldn't get any happier with my SR5HH ...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pickles, May 13, 2006.

1. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I adjusted the pickup heights and it sounds even better! :hyper:

The neck pickup came from the factory sitting very low in its rout. With the string depressed at the last fret it had more than 6/32" of clearance to the string on the bass side. The bridge pickup had just over 4/32". I adjusted the neck pickup to have the same clearane as the bridge and BAM!

All of the combined positions sound stronger and more consistent with the bridge pickup sound now. Man this thing sounds HUGE! Position 2 especially opened up.

Does anybody know what the "factory correct" settings are?

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I think you should route it out and add a jazz pickup.

3. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Mmmkay. :eyebrow:

4. Where the hell did that come from :confused:

5. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    We were having an arguement on another thread, and I guess he's having trouble letting it go.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    It's a joke. I thought we were just having a discussion on the other thread where you were wrong.

7. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Oh, good.

When you make a joke, you gotta use a few of these so people know what you mean ...

:p

:bag:

:ninja:

Now where's my router, I've got basses to butcher :p

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    From the Erine Ball site:
    Virtually all the adjustments to string height can be made with the truss rod. Turn clockwise to raise the finger board, counter clockwise to lower. The ideal string height for our basses is 3/32" or 2.4mm between the bottom of the string to the top of the fret on both the E and G strings at the 12th fret. The G string can be slightly lower due to the fact that it is the smallest string. This affects the bow of the neck.

The factory specifications for the pickup height is 6/32" or 0.47625mm from the top of the plastic between the pickup covers to the bottom of the G string. The angle of the pickup is set fairly level, so the larger strings are naturally a bit closer. If you haven't already adjusted the pickup or changed to a very heavy gauge string set, you shouldn't have to do any adjustments on the pickup.

On the new 2-pickup basses, the measurements are virtually the same on the bridge pickup and the neck pickup is further away, about 8/32" or 0.47625mm from the string to the pickup.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

You might have to check Fender for the specs on the new jazz pickup.

9. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Thanks for that. Interesting ... I bet the measurements were per that spec before I lowered the action at the bridge (since I disagree with them about using the truss rod to adjust the action). Thats a wierd setup spec they have, I use Roger Sadowsky's method.

Oh well, I like it better this way :D The neck and bridge pickups are putting out about the same volume now, and I'm not getting any double toning so far.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hey, if the pickup height sounds good, it is good, right?

That's the way I look at it.