1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just when I thought I was out of the woods...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PBASSTONE, Mar 31, 2013.

1. ...now I just noticed something strange on the last fret on my '64 American Vintage Jazz Bass (replacement for the first one I had that was flawed)...

What the HE˥˥ is this? It looks like friggin' epoxy. I can't seem to win, and I'm beginning to think Fender's quality control sucks a fat one. Is this normal?? :confused:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. IncX

IncX

Jul 23, 2007
    Philippines
    i also have that with my stingray 30th anniv model ... i was thinking it hit my amp when i was transporting it

3. I'm not as concerned with what seems to be a cosmetic issue as I am with the 19th fret, which appears to not be set properly. But in either case, it's no secret that Fender's factory quality control (American and Mexican) is bad. I don't think I've ever played a Fender off the rack that was set up properly, not in Australia anyway (New Zealand, oddly enough, is quite superior in that category).

Epoxy is easy to fix, but get a professional to hammer that fret in properly. If you bought it from a shop, get on of their techs to do it for free. Regarding superior quality control, may I recommend Musicman?

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    It looks like it could be the camera angle making the 19th fret look high. The filler, complete with skuffs(a high spot?) and bubbles looks pretty darn rough IMO.

5. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    For what that guitar is supposed to be (MIA and the money that goes with it) that looks pretty bad.

6. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    The epoxy is one thing, but those grooves look like they come from roundwounds. Like the neck was played to death before leaving the factory or something.

7. MIA, brand new ?
    Return that P.O.S.

8. I'd bet good money on those being file marks. There was probably a chip there which they filled, then finished roughly. Why it's so dark there I don't understand.

9. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Good point.

The epoxy probably darkened the wood.

10. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    One of the things that stands out in the Fender description is that the fingerboard is rosewood "laminate". Not sure what exactly that is.

11. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    It's the opposite of a slab board. The fretboard is a thin laminate of rosewood over a radiused maple neck as opposed to a slab board which is thicker, flat at the bottom and is attached to a flat top on the maple neck. Standard enough.

A2557985.

As for the OP, that's shocking quality for a new bass at that kind of price.

12. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Looks like a burn in to me. Hard or soft filler sticks softened with a burn in knife to fill a void. Pretty standard furniture repair stuff. Unacceptable on a high end purchase like this. I would raise heck with Fender till they make it right. Send them those pictures and a link to this forum.

13. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I saw sideways scratches on the fretboard and imediately lost any respect i had for fender.

14. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Good God, is that on a NEW bass?? Yeeeesh.

15. bassRunner

bassRunner

Aug 10, 2012
    Urbana, IL
    Wow, that's seriously disappointing. It looks like there's body paint on the fingerboard, too. Someone tried to save a fingerboard that needed to be thrown away. Sorry for your experience, I hope you're able to get a suitable replacement soon.

16. GG7

GG7

Mar 14, 2013
    Definitely looks like a used bass to me. I know it isn't but that is how rough the finishing job is on that one.

Makes me question the logic of buying from this series, which I really want to do.

My American Deluxe was gorgeous and the neck and frets were absolutely perfect out of the factory sealed carton. 180 degrees away from your photos.

17. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78!

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Does look like roundwound wear wih, what looks like marks on the frets on either side that are inline with the string wear marks.
    Now that does not make sense. Unless they epoxied and then test-played that area heavily to make sure the repair they made was solid.

I own 7 Fenders and I am absolutely convinced that no matter what level Fender bass you purchase, their QC is absolutely horrid and half-assed. No excuse for that Fender, come on!

Will it hold up over years of playing? Maybe but if it does not will fender be there to replace it then?

Sorry to se this Pbass, I was so looking foward to a great review on that '64 AV.

18. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    The grooves can't be from a string- the string can't be pressed down to the fretboard that close to the frets and the grooves would not pnly be closer together, they would be more evenly spaced. To me, it looks like chatter from a razor blade, used to smooth the wood between the frets. Badly.

Where did this bass come from? It's possible that the seller did this, not Fender. If it was done at Fender, they should fix it.

19. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78!

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Yes you are right I believe. I have a couple fretless basses and that is where I see that string wear. I love Fender...No I hate Fender...No I....

20. I boxed that ****er back up today, and it's going back to ZZounds on Monday for a full refund. This I vow, I will not even consider the new Fender Vintage Series again. **** I could build a better parts bass than that piece of *****. Squier has better QC than Fender. It wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't already sent one back for the giant ding on the headstock...

Say one last goodbye... you can clearly see the reflection of the epoxy on the last fret near the D and G strings

[​IMG]

For those of you who didn't get to see the problem with the first return... emot-bang.

[​IMG]