1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just when I thought it was safe to go back into the water....Cabinet related

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ezra1, Mar 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. OK, I have a 2002 Ashdown EVO 500 on the way....It is 4 ohm
    I already have a Ashdown 410T rated 450 watts at 8 ohms.
    I was thinking maybe I should pick up a Ashdown Rootmaster 410 T that is specked at 450 watts @ 8 ohms and use both cabs with the 500 watt 4 ohm head.
    A sales guy at Sweetwater told me that I don't want to do that unless I get a more powerful amplifier.
    That I need to just use one 410 @ 8 ohm cabinet.
    I am confused.... Help please.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I think the sales guy was confused.

3. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    The guy at Sweetwater is mistaken. The head can run at 4 ohms (500 watts) or 8 ohms (~350 watts), but doubling the speaker area will increase the volume more than utilizing the other 150 watts.

4. So I should get a 2nd cabinet and plug each one separately into the two output jacks on the back of the amp ?

5. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    you can plug them in that way, or daisy chain them, don't think it'll make much difference as long as the total load doesn't go UNDER 4 ohms.

ezra1 likes this.
  6. As long as I am asking questions, would a Peavey Headliner 410 work ?
    They are 8 ohm but good for1600 watts.
    Could I use it and my Ashdown 410 together ?

7. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Yes, you could, BUT

There could be phase issues or other unpleasant sounds using different cabs.

The power handling rating isn't a concern as long as it's higher than your amplifier. Your main concerns are ohms, which you seem to understand, and tone, which I don't think you know what you want.

You're suggesting different cab brand/model combinations, but why? Do you need more volume? One bass heavy cab, and another treble heavy cab doesn't immediately equal a combo that covers everything well.

Wait and see how your head sounds with the cab you have, before you try theorizing the sound of a multitude of head/cab combinations through words on the computer ;)

Stevorebob and Element Zero like this.
  8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I don't know if the guy at Sweet water made a mistake or just needed to make a sale to get some commission. If it's a mistake the guy should not be selling gear.

Bassicaly, Your amp can handle two 8 ohm cabs or one 4 ohm cab.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    Spidey2112 and ezra1 like this.
  9. Just being kind of cheap man....I can pay less for the Peavey..And I know what to do if they were out of phase with each other.
    As for as visual aesetics the Ashdown would be the best and probably the best match.

10. We are not talking about a polarity issue, but rather a phasing issue between the different cabs response curves. And you cannot fix that by changing wiring.

ezra1 likes this.
  11. I am trying to find out if the response curve between the two Ashdown cabinets is going to be a problem.
    Thanks

12. OK, here is what I have found out
    Ashdown Mag 410T Deep is 60HZ - 20k HZ
    SPL= 101 db
    1w @1m
    Ashdown Rootmaster RM Mag 410T is 60HZ- 20k HZ
    SPL= 98db
    1w@1m
    Is the 3 db difference enough to cause problems ?

13. Anyone ?
    I don't think 3db is a deal breaker.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  14. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    No. That just indicates that the potential new cab is just a little less efficient. If you want a 2 x 410 rig, those will work fine with your head.

Spidey2112 and ezra1 like this.
  15. The first guy at Sweetwater threw me off course pretty badly.
    After the help here today , I got on the phone and got a different sales guy and negotiated a very good deal.
    Got my Ashdown cab coming this way.

16. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland, Hardwire
    Actually the ABM 500 pushes 575 watts at 4 Ohms.

Bassmec likes this.
  17. Ric5

Ric5 SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    get a second bass head and daisy chain the amps

18. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    I believe this is likely to result in an amplifier shutdown at best, and a major repair bill at worst.

My understanding is that each amplifier would see the output impedance of the other amplifier in parallel with the speaker's impedance. Since the output impedance of most amplifiers is a small fraction of an ohm, each amplifier would be seeing something pretty close to a dead short. That is not good for amplifier output stages.

I do not know what the consequence of both amplifiers putting out power simultaneously would be, but don't think that's likely to make things any better.

EDIT: In retrospect, I think I misunderstood Ric5's suggestion. See Digital Man's post just below.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  19. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I think he meant one head per cab.

DukeLeJeune likes this.
  20. ficelles

ficelles SUSPENDED

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    The sales guy is right - the EVO head won't put out the full 575 watts into 8ohms so won't blow your existing 410 unless you dime it for hours on end so need for another cab unless you particularly want one.

My experience of the Rootmaster cabs is that they are not overly efficient so you will not have a matched response if your existing cab is an ABM. It will work just fine of course but probably won't sound as good as the single ABM cab. Two cabs will look much more impressive though :)

ezra1 likes this.