1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just when you think you have the ideal pedalboard...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ilansgroove, Sep 6, 2016.

1. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Jan 24, 2012
    paris, france
    image.jpeg I found that the ideal pedalboard size for me is the pedaltrain Classic JR....
    And I actually thought that I'm done with flipping pedals for a while ...

Just came back from band practice and realized .... Some of my recent changes were not that smart.

I left my wonderlove on my pedaltrain nano for the fusion funk band , just move the Cali76 CB and B7K ultra back to the nano for these gigs/practice

Decided to use the Manta as my phaser among other thing , actually thinking it will take the place of the wonderlove on the bigger board....

And last thing , I bought the Aftershock as my One pedal for all dirt needs with the hub on the big board.

Things are going to change again ....

The manta is a greate fun pedal, but as a phaser it is very weak, I wouldn't recommend it ... All the filter suff are still fun and special, but I think it's going to leave my board and give the spot back to the wonderlove ... Ok,you can't memorize presets on it, but it Always sounds greate !!!!
    Don't really know if it's worth selling , maybe I'll keep it just for fun....

The aftershock, is also a greate pedal and I had a lot of fun with it at home, but It didn't fulfill all my expectations ... And as soon as I kicked in the B7K dirt in, I realized the aftershock is going to the classifieds !!! Thinking of getting the COG effects 66, it has 2 presets, I think it will be enough for me ...

Now I really need a phaser... And before , I was thinking of the Lunar ... But , will it disappoint me as the aftershock did??? Can anyone give me feedback from theirs experiences playing the Lunar WITH a band and WITH a drummer ....phaser is a pedal I do want to be able to save a lot of presets .... Fast, slow, deep, subtle , weird etc.... So ,any good ideas ??? .... And yes I know the chase bliss is great .... But it's too darn expensive!!

Any thoughts ? Advice ?? Experience to share??

2. TerribleLiar23

TerribleLiar23 Anti-Scientologist Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2011
    RTP
    You. Will. Never. Be. Done.

Friday I thought I had finally achieved my perfect board. Was actually kind of bittersweet because it meant no more buying, selling, trading, etc. This weekend, I ordered 3 more pedals, put 4 up for sale, and am still lusting after a few more. This is for life.....

3. It never ends until you run out of space, time or money. . . .until the next new thangz.

4. TerribleLiar23

TerribleLiar23 Anti-Scientologist Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2011
    RTP
    Those 3 things never stopped me.

alack, Veldar, vivaknoxvegas and 3 others like this.
  5. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    So true...what I really need to do though is hold on to some of em.

Johno Dunn and TerribleLiar23 like this.
  6. Orion1985

Orion1985 Supporting Member

May 4, 2010
    Grass Valley, CA
    I just finished setting my pedalboard up and I'm hoping that I will be happy for at least a while. I don't really want to start snipping and redoing the zip ties I just finished with.

7. Orion1985

Orion1985 Supporting Member

May 4, 2010
    Grass Valley, CA
    The COG Effects 66 is the newest pedal on my board and I'm happy with it so far. I'm running it at 18v and still dialing it in a bit.

image.jpeg

8. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Jan 24, 2012
    paris, france
    In The demo it sounds like a beast !!! I love it !!!

9. cattzap

cattzap

Sep 4, 2016
    For the original poster of this thread, and other if they don't mind, for the pedal board shown on the first pic. How much $$$ do you have invested in it and what did you have to go thru to get to that final setup? Is there a pile of pedals on a shelf somewhere that you thought you wanted but now don't? I'm starting with pedals. I've started with the Boss ME 80 for guitars, and I'm about to add the Boss ME 50B for my bass. I've done a fair bit of looking around at pedals of both style. I was really keen on some Digitech pedals because of price and features, but in a factory video, the guy demonstrating it bumped a plastic knob with his foot and easily broke it right off. Not sure why they didn't re shoot the video but glad they did. I can't afford to get one and have it break that easy. I use both guitar and bass for our Sunday morning services. so I will be taking both with me. I know people have opinions about the all in one pedals, but for me, I thought it would be a good place to start, as they both have alot of ways I can play around with and change things, and if I ever choose to grow beyond that to using the individual pedals, I'll have a better idea of what I would want to go towards. I promise, I have no intentions of showing up at whoever says they have spent the most on theirs while your not home. I'm a new guy getting into pedals and asking learning question. Also, packing them around, How much do you move them or do they go to one place and stay. How much of a pain or not a oin at all to move that setup and what kind of case would you move it in safely? Thank everyone for their feedback. This looks like a coll place to be a part of.

10. cattzap

cattzap

Sep 4, 2016
    Right now, since I only have the ME 80. I'm using a small mixer behind it with one out of from the ME going to it, and that goes onto our PA. When using the bass, I simply turn off that one channel. The other output got direct to my amp. So I can quickly switch back and forth. When using guitar, I simply switch off the amp. That will go away when the ME 50b is added. I'm using only the preamp, EQ, and compression on the ME 50 when I use the bass. I have the cheapest bass I could find several years ago, just as a" if this don't' work out for me, I wont fell guilty if I Hendrix smash it at the last song it ever played". Later, I'd like to move to a 5 string, active pickups, and neck thru bass, with a nice natural finish. Those Carvins look awful good, and individual analog pedal for everything.

11. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Jan 24, 2012
    paris, france
    I would rather Not talk about the $$$$ I spent until now ... :) I'm pretty sure many ppl who read this forum would avoid getting into calculation , especially if their wives are nearby !!!

theunknowndude likes this.
  12. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    It's about the journey, not the destination.

Live by that and your disappointments and anxiety about not being finished will drop significantly. IME there are two things that lead to growth and expressive ability: familiarity with your gear and surprise through exploration. If you choose familiarity, you can be "done" with gear. If you choose the gear exploration route, you can never be done, because that the nature of a searcher. Also realize that exploration is a tradeoff with familiarity, and try not to judge anything too quickly. I aim to give every piece of gear, esp pedals, at least a month before passing judgment and flipping. Everything does something well, it just often takes time to find out what that is.

Novarocker and ilansgroove like this.
  13. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    It never ends. That's one of the reasons I keep falling off the wagon and keep going back to the "direct to amp, no effects" camp.

But then sooner or later I see one of those shiny colorful boxes and I'm Steve Martin in The Jerk

All I need is this fuzz.
    ...and that octaver.
    the fuzz and the octaver and that's all I need.
    And this autowah. Gotta have that.
    The fuzz, the octaver, the autowah.
    ...and this compressor.

14. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Jan 24, 2012
    paris, france

true .... but still ... aftershock is gone :)

15. cattzap

cattzap

Sep 4, 2016
    I can respect not mentioning the dollar amounts spent. Fortunately for my, my guitar hobby has been supported by freebies and odd jobs and odd unexpected surprise incomes. I played some with a guy who was a master at the use of pedals. He has two massive boards that he would plug together and absolutely rock every sound imaginable. I got him to explain what everything was but not knowing anything about them, it was all just gibberish to me. Plus we were about to start up.

If anyone else wouldn't mind mentioning the $$$ amounts, I'm just curious as to what it would take to build up an analog. OF course that means that for me I guess I would have to have the time to work with the ME80 and ME50b then decide how I liked it to be set, then convert that to a list and see. heck. I may not ever see the need to go beyond what I have.

I am already digging how I can use the preamp, eq, and compressor setting manually on the ME 80 for my bass. Some of the other options with a bass goes completely bonkers in a hurry. Just those three things, plus the volume has really helped me make a better, punchier sound which has helped our whole groups sound. I got one more month of savings before the ME 50B can be ordered. Then I can ditch the mixer board and use them each like they are intended.

16. Cazman

Cazman Supporting Member

May 9, 2003
    LOVE the Lunar...WITH the band and WITH the drummer!

17. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Jan 24, 2012
    paris, france
    Well there are no secrets .... But during my 25 years with the bass , I've been selling and buying pedals for at least 20 years .... So to evaluate how much I spent since is pretty difficult ;)

However , if you look at that board ... There's about 1500$-2000$ There

18. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Jan 24, 2012
    paris, france
    Thanks

Will have to test it

19. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Script logo Phase 90 is the way to for Phasers. Or do like I did and get a Fractal AX8. Problem solved.

20. cattzap

cattzap

Sep 4, 2016
    Once I'm done with the 2 Boss's and the Digitech, cables, etc. I'll have close to a grand. I want to build or aquire something that will stack them and manage the cables and still be easy to move. Certainly don't want to tell the wife about that either although she is cool about it probably. I guess. Better not risk it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021