Just when you thought it was safe.......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JOME77, Jul 15, 2004.

1. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Just when you thought it was safe to go into a Bass only store :eek:

I thought I was pretty much set on basses with my 2 Roscoe 5's (fretted and fretless) and then the recent addition of a Warmoth Gecko that I put together. Unfortunately I made the mistake of taking a road trip to Atlanta with a couple of guitar players. While we were there we found Atlanta's Bass Gallery located on Piedmont Ave. What a terrible mistake! Of everything that I played the bass that I couldn't put down was an Elrick Gold Series Standard 5! Easily the best playing bass (finger style) that I've ever played. To make a long story short, GAS hit! A brown truck dropped off an Elrick 5 at my house yesterday evening! Sweet playing (and sounding) bass! Here's a picture.
  2. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan

oooooooooooooooooo.... that's a nice one! :D
  3. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    That's sweet! How much, roughly?
  4. If it sounds as good as it looks, I want to try one.
  5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Joe, it is NEVER safe for a bassist to go into a bass only store!

...and I see that Rob Elrick has been up to his evil work yet again...

...someone really should stop him.

Right after I get one or two myself! :ninja:
  6. Gard,

I know whatcha mean. I just took this baby in on trade, and no way I'm sellin' it:

Awesome bass. And it only weighs 6-1/2 pounds !!!!!

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Are they chambered? :eek:

What are all the switches?
  8. I don't think they're chambered, but I'm not an Elrick expert.
    Maybe someone else can comment on how he gets his basses so light.

It has Vol, Blend, and 3-band EQ.
    One switch is Active/Passive.
    The other switch is 3 different mid frequencies.

It has a really unique tone and it plays very smoothly.
    The zero-fret may have something to do with the even-ness of the sound.

Anyway, I REALLY like it and plan to keep it.

9. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    The bass looks like it caught on fire at the bottom. I dig it lol..
  10. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    You're the evil man that gave me Atlanta Bass Gallery's phone number! Thanks for the tip! I played your Dingwall! Nice bass. I was surprised how easy it was to adjustment to the fanned frets. That 4 string Elrick is a killer! I was surprised how light my Elrick 5 is too. Just over 7 pounds.

Good talking to you the other night! As you can see I didn't have the patience to wait and order an Elrick. The only thing more evil than a bass only store?
    The search capabilites of the I-net! :D
  11. sweet looking basses :D
  12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Randy, that looks like it might have been Matt Powers' bass once. If it is the same bass, I played it for a minute at Carey Nordstand's - it was smokin! but alas, I am so used to 5 strins.... but it shure let me know Rob knows what he is doing...
    JOME, congrats on yours!!
  13. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Yeah, Elricks are like the Parker Fly of the bass world (the thing Parker actually put out is just *not* a Fly in the true sense, outside of the fretboard.)

Gard handed me an E-volution 5 SC and I was braced for a big, honkin, SC feel - what I felt instead was the lightest bass I think I've ever played. Gotta be 5 lbs. Man-o-man. Too bad I don't care for elrick bodystyles. Well, maybe good, else I may have bought it.

14. Timbo,

Yes, it does. But based on the previous message, we now know why........Adrian played it !!!!! ;)

I'm not a fan of buckeye burl, but I'm getting used to it.
    This used Elrick recently sold (quick) at GGuitars:

It was a beautiful spalted maple; I would have loved to have it.

15. Ooooh, sorry. :eek:
    Yeah, the Dinger is way cool......but that's another thread. ;)

Jim at ABG is a real nice guy, and a friendly competitor.
    Maybe he'll give me a good discount on a new Elrick !!!

16. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    You know I really went up to Atlanta with those guys to see an F-Bass that I thought Randy still had (why else would I travel 2 hours one way in a car with guitar players). It turned out that the F-Bass had been sold.

If I can ever get my hands on an F-Bass (to play) I may yet give you a call and buy or spec one out! You might say that I got distracted by the Elrick!
    There will always be GAS for another day! :D
  17. Beautiful bass, Joe. I haven't made it over to the Atlanta Bass Gallery yet, and I'm really quite afraid to go anywhere near it. :bag:
  18. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Congrats, man that's a beauty! Hey, since you won't be needing the fretted Roscoe 5 anymore, why not send it to me? PM me for shipping instructions... :D