Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just wiped out my hard drive

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Frijoles Negros, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Wow, I must have had a bunch of crap on there. Startup is so much faster. I have much more free ram, and nothing crashes now. Now the computer is :squeaky clean: and free of those damn trojans.

I should have done this 6 months ago.

2. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    How did you go about wiping it out? Just curious.

3. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Im in the library, so I cant be too specific.
    1) boot up with the first disk- the one that formats the drive
    2) format - I have a second disk to use with the first that reads fat 32 partitions -
    3) Use a regular startup disk to boot up with and to enable the cd drive

4) Then i put in the OS - then add all the drivers and the programs.

4. if your OS is not on a bootable CD, you'll need a startup disk. windows will help you make one that has CD drivers and everything you need to install another copy of windows.

i just formatted my wife's computer after six years of use on the factory installed OS. it's twice as fast now. i like XP because it has enabled me to be free of a floppy drive on my own computer.

robb.

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    There's nothing like a good 'ole format and reinstall. It's like putting a new set of strings on your bass.

6. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    +1
    Im loving it.
    What rcz said is right on the money. Make sure you know what your doing, and make sure you have all of your drivers. When you do it right, the computer runs like new again. Im loving it so much, Im not signing onto the internet on that computer for a while.
    I never had problems maintaining a system. I like running things in a streamlined fashion and like to frequently clean out my drive of junk. I guess now that millions of kids at home from summer break, coming up with wicked trojans and crap to break through my two firewalls, garbage just started to mount on my laptop. It just starting clogging up my system and it got crashy and unstable. I didnt have any luck de-trojaning (sp?) my system. However, the wipe out took care of all that.

Im not hooking up on the internet in my computer untill school is back in.

Those rascaly whippersnappers.