Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just won a CA-9

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eots, Dec 31, 2005.

1. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Maybe I paid a bit much ($545 shipped) but with all the hype about them...My current rig is a Yamaha bbt500h - 2 wizzy 112's. Not much surface area and I haven't really gigged with it that much but I thought a 'bigger just in case' rig might be fun.
    Anyway, I'll have to complete the rest of the ensemble.
    Do I ..
    A. use the pre from the Yamaha..
    B. Go the demeter,aguilar,bbe,rbi route ...
    C. Dare plug the wizzies into the CA9 with caution...(I don't have any power hungry gigs in the planned future yet)
    D. Buy a beefy cab. Schroeder,EA,.....Apostle :eyebrow:

2. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    You just won a heck of a good amp. Enjoy it!

[​IMG]

3. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Whatever you do... DO NOT bridge that thing into anything that you love and want to keep. The power these things are capable of will astound and humble you.

But..... if you get curious, unlike other amps, with the CA-9, you have to turn up BOTH CHANNELS... not just the A channel....

Enjoy, and that's a fair price. Good catch.

4. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Went and picked up a Schroeder 410 tonite :hyper: to go behind my ca-9. Amp hasn't arrived yet but I'll be using my Yamaha bbt500h until I find a preamp I like.
    I brought one wizzy with me just to A/B them and the wizzy held up pretty well (low volume) considering their size difference. The 410 was smaller in dimensions than I expected but quite a bit heavier than a Fender 410 I used to own.
    I'll take the 410 to practice Sat. to try. :bassist:

5. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    wow man! you got a rockin setup comin along there....now for a rockin pre :)

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, seriously,

know what sound you'd be looking for?

try www.basstasters.com to give yourself an idea of what preamp might be good for you.

7. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Well, I've always liked the simplicity of a one knob compressor.
    Built in so as to save rack space(weight).
    I like a modern sound as well as the bassy thump of my flat wound 'P', so a flat, neutral setting ,would be good.
    I like the slight grind of a mild overdrive.
    So far I've played thru a BBE bmax,Fender preamp(don't know the model but it was about $500),and an aguilar 2 space pre- again don't remember the model but I ruled it out anyway cause it had this trebly hiss that I couldn't cure.
    I've gotten used to my Yamaha presets so I use certain ones on the songs we do.
    I'm still wanting to try a sansamp RBI. Basstasters didn't do one of those, plus that site, while an asset to internet bassists, doesn't really show all the different aspects of a preamp.
    I'm also wanting it to have a dead quiet D.I. I hate having anything going to the board when I'm not playing. A pet peeve of mine regarding gear.
    My 1st test will be bypassing the Yamaha power section and just using the pre and the ca9 power and a/b ing vs the Yamaha alone with the schroder 410 . That'll give me a 'bassline' to go by.