Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just won a QSC PLX1202!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Nov 17, 2004.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    hey, i just had to share. QSC PLX1202 on ebay totaly shipped 363.83 bucks!!

now to wait for the MO to send and the box to get here....

2. What pre are you using with it (if you are using a pre)?

3. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    i want to get an ampeg or the cheaper route will be the RBI, but untill then im gunna run it threw my head i have now. peavey mark IV circa 1980.

im just not sure what cables i need.

is it best to get 1/4 to speak on?

4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Congrats on your new power amp! I had the 1602 for a while and it was great.

What cables you need depend on what cabinets you are using. Speakons are always my first choice if it's an option, especially if bridging. Of course you can use banana cables with this amp as well.

5. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    I need to run this into my Head which has a power amp input, 1/4th. Then from there ill go from the normal speaker cable outputs into my avatar right?

SHould i invest on the speak on? in time i will be running it into a pre amp then into my avatar and possibly another one.

6. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    No the poweramp input IS NOT for other poweramps. It's a link to your head's poweramp. You want to find a Direct Out from your head and send that to your QSC. And don't forget to have the DI post-EQ if there's an option for that.

7. If you have no direct out, an effect loop (effect out) should also work. I'm not familiar with the Peavey mark IV, so I don't know if this helps at all.

8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    NEVER feed the output of a power amp into anything except speakers! Get someone to draw you on a piece of paper the signal flow path from your bass to the speakers and everything inbetween so you have conceptual understanding. Thank goodness for this website!

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You didn't win it, you bought it.

10. That's a nice score for the price.
    I got mine for about $400 and already thought it was a great deal.

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah, I thought he got one for free.

12. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Try not to piss on his excitement to much...

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    FWIW, I also opened the thread thinking there was a contest for the item. Oh well. Enjoy your new item!

14. newchibass

newchibass

May 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Side Question: Do the PLX's sound significantly better than the RMX series?

15. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    they are lighter. about half the weight!!!

16. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    The question about sound is a good one. I've been considering a PLX vs. a RMX and am curious myself about that one.

Anyone use/try both?

17. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The PLX has slightly better specs than the RMX. I've looked at the schematics, and the PLX has more circuitry that should reduce the distortion.

I own one of each, and frankly, the biggest sonic difference as bass amps is that the RMX's fan makes more noise. Either works fine for gigging.

18. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    my peavey has an effects loop and a pre amp out i think, its not at my house now. how would i be able to rig this up to use the peavey's pre amp till i get one?

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Actually....he won the exclusive privilege to buy it. :D

-Mike

20. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    The pre out was designed for just what you're asking. You are sending the pre's signal to an external power amp.