just wonder how to cure neckdive

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jian_cheng, Mar 4, 2002.

1. jian_cheng

Jul 13, 2001
    just wonder how to cure neckdive ??? any suggestions ? i know wearing it high helps .. but any other ppl with quirky ideas?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

3. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    .....get a wider strap.....or a leather strap.

...One that will kinda 'stick' to your shoulder a bit more.....

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Another more radical move (that I have never tried personally, but I know it works.) is to move the rear strap up so as to change the balance of the bass.

5. you mean strap bolt?
  6. lighter tuners are worth a try.
  7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Yes. It should have read "strap button." I guess I left a word out.

8. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    My Thumb 6 wideneck is pretty topheavy. I have just learned to support the neck a little more.
  9. What kind of bass?

I have a Thumb Bolt on that has a wicked neck dive. First time you all heard that I am sure.
    I have a comfort strap and HipShot Ultra lite tuners, it helps but it is not a cure.
    Granted I kind of feel that a $1300 bass shouldn't have this problem so I can only guess when the day comes that I get sick of the problem and will take BL's suggestion.
  10. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Try hipshot ultralite tuners.
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's a shame, isn't it, puff?

I love the sound of a Thumb 5 neck through, but I paid the price when I was younger on a neck heavy 5 string with a huge neck, and it's not worth ruining my left hand for.:(
  12. True, very True, the bass has a great sound but if you do some thing like a pull off to an open string well, there it goes. That split second can be a killer. Another thing if I may ramble is the size of the body, I love the shape but it isn't big enough to lock in so the neck dive isn't a problem. I.e. my 12 string has neck dive but it doesn't dive because the body is big enough to lock under your forearm.
    Hmm maybe I should sell my Thumb before I get more bitter about it. :D
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I would say that I was interested, but I want to be able to use my left hand for the rest of my life.:D
  14. Balancewise it would be better if the strap button on the upper horn goes toward the neck. That's why all the explorers, flying V's, you name it weird shaped basses (which I really like the body shape) are neck heavy because they lack the upper horn thus the upper strap button is not near enough to the neck gravity center.

How you can put the strap attachment more forward the neck? Bolin Guitar has something to offer, maybe you'd like to check it at their website: http://www.bolinguitars.com/features.html

Or you can put more weight on the body side (which is not logical), or you can take some weight from neck (e.g. using ultralight tuners or maybe guitar pegs (as I asked the topic a few days ago at SETUP))

My 1 and a half cent... :D
  15. I've got an EB-3 with the same problem, and the SG guitars suffer too.

however, i saw a picture of Tony Iommi with his SG guitar, and he'd moved his strap button onto the point of the upper horn....... how much of a diffrence would this make?
  16. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have an EB-3 and a Gibson Thunderbird, both models are neck heavy. The best solution I've found is to use a strap that "sticks" to your shoulder (doesn't slide). I use a Neotech strap made out of neoprene and it works very well. I haven't tried it, but the straps with sheepskin padding might work as well.
  17. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
  18. Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    I had a little problem with my Jay Turser MM copy, and a nice wide leather strap by Taylor Guitars cured it.

But this thread helped me a lot.