Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just wondering if anyone was in Primus like band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Corbis, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    This is my 2nd post so hopefully I got this in the right section so I don't look dumb! I've been going to this forum for several months but never had the nerve to post or sign up so here it goes.

I was just wondering seeing most of us here are big Primus/Les Claypool fans if anyone had a band that was the same type of music. Mainly bringing the bass out in front but it could also be the vocals.

Keep in mind it could be one or both.

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Hi there Corbis,

Since this is related more to style of music than to actual performance, I think this would fit a little better and get more replies in Miscellaneous. I'm going to move the thread there.

Have a nice day :)

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Hi Corbis;
    Post away! That's how we learn and share experiences. Nothing to worry about here...

I remember when Primus was first getting some exposure. I was really shocked by his bass approach, and kept up with them for quite a while. I still listen to whatever they release just to see what Les is up to, but over time I sort of lost interest in the material and technique. Maybe it was from exposure to all the other bass monsters out there, but I just can't really claim much inspiration from Les anymore. I mean no disrespect, just sharing what happened to me.

that said...

I love exploring rythmic territory with a good partner, whether it's on bass or drums.
    For a while I was working on a bass-centric project in a trio setting. I was writing all the material, and had an extremely versatile guitarist and drummer working with me. It really was a lot of fun and helped me take my style and techniques forward. Very good learning experience. Guitarist moved though, and we never got any of it recorded. I regret that very much.

Now I've joined a well-established band, essentially a trio raised on Rush, King Crimson, and Zep who are playing a more modern/ambient kind of rock. Not Primus-y at all, but they have the chops to do whatever they want. The bassist plays Stick, and during our jams, I have to say some moments dove deep into Primus territory, and it was great fun!
    I still think Herb Alexander's contribution to Primus was incalculable.

sorry I rambled...and I don't mean to disparage the band, especially if they're a favorite of yours. They used to be a big favorite of mine too!

What kind of band are you working with?

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    No, not now, but about 12 years ago I was in an original band, Uncle Virus, where I kinda developed a style that didn't really sound like Claypool, but that didn't sound like anything else, either, and would never have happened if I hadn't heard Frizzle Fry. I never tried to emulate much of Claypool's right hand trickery, but I did begin using a lot of rapid, percussive dead note slap/pops and to incorporate slap into darker, heavier material than I ever would have previously.

Not that big a deal, I know. But in early 90's Austin, it was different from what anyone else was doing that I knew of. All I really have left from those days are a few signature licks I've kept - the rest is long forgotten.

Ahhh... meeemooorrrieeeeeeeeeesss! ;)

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Has anyone seen Primus live? I spent the first half hour with my jaw on the ground, and the remaining hour and a half wishing they had a second bass player to play bass. He's a monster player (and he somehow manages to make it look easy), but I think you're better off aiming to be a little more versatile.....

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Twice. It was entertaining, though I don't see anyone else successfully pulling it off.

7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I saw Primus open for Rush. It was entertaining at first, and yes, Les makes it look so easy! But I ended up paying more attention to Tim.
    Kashmir perked me right up though.

There were only about 2 guys in the audience who seemed to get what Primus was about. I guess the folks who were there to see Rush hadn't quite seen anything like that before!

8. right here
    Prozac Buttered Toast
    Lead is the bass and vocals
    March 9th in TO