Just wondering: Is there a bass equivalent to playing air guitar? Or...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    ...is air guitar playing part of the guitarist's psyche?

Frustrated guitarists don't play bass. They play air guitar!
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    RE Bass equivalent of air-guitaring?

I calling Bassing off, Masturbassing, Bassturbating ( I swear there's not trend, Honest, :D)...or, just air bass. Hey that should be a shoe! The Air Bass..."Play Higher, Do Runs Faster, Air Bass"
  3. im pretty good at the air bass and jumping around
    i practice enough in my room when listing 2 music...:rolleyes:

ok no1 heard that ;)
  4. Hmmm...
    Air bass?

I don't particularly play air bass, but I do sometimes find myself tapping my right index & middle fingers along to the bass line... :D
  5. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've always played airbass, ever since i was a kid. My friends were like: "No no, you hold the guitar like this!" :D
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Air bass is just like real bass playing compared to real guitar playing - it's more expensive and you're always after better tone.
  7. I mostly play airbass.

I'm a much better bassist compared to playing one of those silly wooden things, you see.

I am front-man in all the best bands, play all the best basses, run 3 or 4 kWatts without ear protection. My sound's brilliant, too.

Naturally I am paid an absolute fortune for my craft and, as a result, get all the best women.

Jacco? Who?

Sorry, guys, I'm going insane. It's this new stringless Squier. Can't get the intonation quite right. I bought a new electronic tuner but it doesn't help: you know, the type where the box is absolutely empty when you get it home.

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    i play air bass everytime i pass near a mirror... :D

of course i play it with fingers...

it´s hard to tell an "air pick bassist" and a "air guitar player" :)
  9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Strangely, when I play any "air instrument," it's usually the drums. :oops:

Sometimes I do "fret" my steering wheel while I am driving and jammin' the tunes.
  10. I do air guitar and air bass
  11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I tend to form the slap position with my right hand and beat everything from the sterring wheel to tables and desks with my thumb. I guess I play half air bass.

Although all things equal, I prefer to play air drums.
  12. Once me and my girlfriend had this huge fight:( So Finally after about 3 days of not talking i apologized (I don't even think i started the fight, but guys you know the deal) :> any how it was all romantic and She gives me a huge hug and then pink floyds money comes on the radio, I had just learned the song like a week earlier so I start picking the notes with my right hand on her back. Anyways when she finally figured out what i was doing she was even more pis*ed off than before and I had to sleep on the couch for another few days.

I must mentiong though that my bass line was right on.:D ;)
  13. I play air bass all the time in all my classes. I just pratcie the fingering for scales and songs over and over by taping on the desk with my left hand while i do my work. Or when im walking by myself i do the same thing. Today was the first time i realized i did that, some one said "yo 2bit what the hell are you doing." i guess i was masterbassing subconcousily
  14. AeroSigma

AeroSigma Guest

Sep 10, 2001
    Portland, OR
    heck!! I was playing the air bass, even before I strated playing the bass guitar!:confused:
  15. Hmmm...
    I was just reminded of something...
    One of the drummer/guitarists in my band likes to play air djembe. Quite an amusing site to see him sitting on one of the couches in the common room smacking away at the air between his legs more or less to the beat of the song playing on the stereo. :D
  16. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001

Yup. Playing bass using a keyboard.

It's not real bass!

[apologies to Herbie Hancock!]
  17. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I almost ALWAYS am fingering the parts to songs. And in class, I drive people crazy because I do slap-pop riffs on the desks. :D I also tap really fast with both hands so its a solid rythymed beating. I get so yelled at for that. Anyway, my point is, if you ever see me, I'm usually air bassing.
  18. Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    I play fingerstyle, slap, and play pick on desks at school... I used a real pick once, really annoyed some people. I also once played fingerstyle on a desk and someone thought I was suggesting something else with my fingers :eek: ;) :D :p
  19. If you watch an old simpsons episode (3-4 years old i think) of when homer thinks he's cool, bart and lisa think he's not. So, he buys them tickets to Halobaluza (Rip-off of Lalapaluza), and while I believe its either peter Frampton or Cypress Hill on stage, there's a good shot of Bart playing "Air bass" A truely inspiring shot...