just wondering......

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stealthco4545, Apr 21, 2001.

1. Does anyone cut their strings?
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
  3. As do I. You just cant wind them if you dont cut them.. Well, at least on my bass, the strings would be too long to wind if i didnt cut them.
  4. Usually just a little, so the string wraps around the complete winding post (ending up on the bottom)
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I usually cut my strings so that they wrap around the post about...oh, 3 times, sometimes more, sometims less...but I usually cut em short by a bit (so to acheive the desiered amount of wraps)
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    yep, saves time winding too. just make sure to put a bend in them before you cut, so they don't unravel. that's more important in some strings than others.
  7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Be very careful when cutting your strings! I cut my A string too short one time and I had a nasty buzz to deal with; I couldn't get enough wraps around the post to cause good downward pressure on the nut.
    On my Fender Precision, I usually cut the strings about four inches from the post I am stringing it onto. I go about five inches from the A string's post.
  8. Never! Never had the need to. I always wrap 'em around the post several times. I seem to recall reading somewhere (many years ago) that it was not advisable to cut your strings. Can't remember the source of that info though. Also, since I am a Fender man, I suppose it doesn't hurt to have the additional mass on the head (as that is apparently one way to alleviate dead spots - which I never experienced to begin with. - See, it works!).