Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just Wondering...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by TheFrizzleFry, Jul 3, 2001.

1. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    How long does it take you tab haters to figure out a song by ear? It drives me nuts, I can't get the hang of it, DYAAAAAAAHHHHHHAAHAHAHAHHH (I could go on like this...) general anger. So, how long, I know it depends on the song, so please, give me some examples. Thanks.

2. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Took me about an hour to learn how to play Sum 41 - Fat Lip without tab.

3. wynnguitars

wynnguitars

Jun 20, 2001
    fl
    Hey Frizzle judging by your name your a primus fan .I don't know jus guessing.You want to be better at figuring songs huh,well having a good ear takes time the best thing to do is to start simple.Put a song together in pieces,start the cd then after a little part plays pause the cd try to figure it out if you don't get the first time go back try again this is a tedious process but you have to be patient or the alternative get the tab.Tab isn't always a bad thing but you'll never see it in real life playing situations,the only thing close is the Nashville number system but its not really even that similar.Learn to read its your best bet,you don't have to tell your friends do it in your spare time.

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20754

Well, it depends on the song. I really believe that my ear is one of my weaker areas, and there have been a couple of times were I was just listening to a song on the car radio, and when I got home, I picked up my bass, and could play it. This is largely because what I heard more was the chords, and the progression, and was able to anticipate what the bass player was doing. There are plenty of other songs that take a long long time for me to figure out, and there are certainly some others that I'm still hammering out.

Whatever happens though, don't give up. Sometimes it helps just to walk away from the piece, and have at it later. Each and every single song you do, it will get easier. I guarantee it.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

In his forum Jeff Berlin mentioned how he was having lessons and was given the task of transcribing some Jazz solos and he worked on this more or less solidly for a whole week :eek: - it does take time, depending on the complexity, but the benefits to your playing make it worthwhile. You only get out what you put in!