Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just wondering...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    As of now, I pay for gas, up-keep, and any repairs for my truck.

For the most part, I've been feeding and clothing myself since last summer...

If my mom starts having me pay my insurance and cell bill on top of what i already pay for... She's basically making me an adult in her eyes, and has no right to tell me what I can or cannot do OUTSIDE of her house, correct?

2. Yes, that's true. Legally as an adult she can't make you do anything.

I would also have to say that you being an adult, which may be questionable by definition. :smug: She does not have to let you back in the house either.

3. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    How old are you?

I think that while youre still living in her house you should at least make it seem like your outside life is what she expects... otherwise life at home wont be so fun. my sister pissed off my mom more or less every day before she left to live by herself (she was 19 when she moved.... was really impressed, but I wont let her know that)... and now everything between them is fine. move out?

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    It goes both ways, If your 18 and she doesn't like what your doing, she can throw you out.
    My rules w/ my daughter were if she wanted a truck in her case, she paid for it, the gas, and the insurance. When she turned 18, she was expected to pay rent. ( I never did that).
    While she was under my roof, she was to play by my rules or get her own place.
    When It got time, I helped her out w/ the first months rent and deposit and utility deposit, some household goods, her stuff, and said now your on your own.
    I still have to help her out some, but she wasn't and "Adult" able to come and go and do what she pleased till she moved out.
    I've know others that have been told "Your 18, good luck".

5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Sorry Mike but ultimately it is her household.

The only 'right' you have is to move out.

Everything else is on her sufferance.

And that's the way it should be. The older you get, the more you will agree. Especially once you have children.

Wishin' you the best.

:D

Joe.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Mike?? Reproduce??

*shudders*

:D

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I think I see her plot... Make me too broke to do anything.

I make anywhere from $400-$600 a month...

After food, clothes, insurance, cell phone, etc... I wouldn't have much throw around cash.

I told her if she made me pay for my cell phone, I would just ditch it... at which point she said "well, I guess i'll pay for that so i still have you on a leash."

I think i see where her motives are.

8. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Don't be so bitter, if she wants a leash on you it's because she cares.
    I had to join the military to move out. My parents didn't do what I did for my daughter. She makes $9 hr. and like I said, I have to help a little.

9. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Whether you move out or not, or whether you're 19 or 99, she will always be your mom and you should always weigh her words to you thoughtfully. It's surprising how much smarter your mom gets as you grew older. (violin music in the background). :)

10. Bro,If she pays for your cell phone and your insurance it sounds like you have it pretty good!You and I both live in California and not having alot of cash to throw around is pretty common.:rolleyes: :smug: Remember,..we only get so many years with our Parents so,enjoy!Hey,you could always drive to L.A. and do it on your own!:D :D :p :D :eyebrow:

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

Thats the thing..

I'm a 3.5 student... i have a job... i keep my room clean... i have NEVER done ANY drug (not even pot) so i just figure i'm do a little more trust.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    From the comments I've read in the past, there are about a dozen guys here who are dying to do what your mom tells them. Just consider yourself lucky I guess.

brad cook

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    "Mrs. Money, I've been a naughty boy. I deserve to be punished"

14. +1:p

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

Did I mention that the C in english is making it a 3.5 instead of a 3.8? :p

16. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I say FALSE. You are living under your parents roof, and should honer their rules. They still have a say in what you do. If you don't like it, do what I did, LEAVE. I left home when I was 17 and have been my own man every since. Even as an adult if someone (I dont care if they are 30 years old) lives under my roof, I have requirements that must be met. So go forth young person, and be the king of your own castle, or follow the rules, out of respect.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I pay for everything you mentioned and im not adult in my parents eyes.

Until you pay for living quarters, food, and clothing, you are not an adult. You are almost there, but not quite. Move out, and you got it.

18. What is your mum actually telling you to do/not do?

Because if you explain your point of view, most parents will give.

(Of course, I've only ever had experience with mine, and I think they may be a little crazy, so don't take my advice.)

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no she's not "making you an adult" she's expecting a.) help and b.) you to be responsible for yourself.

move out. get a place of your own, and cover everything you need and want on your own, and not just "for the most part". then do what you want, and bear the consequences on your own. as it is right now, if you screw up she's still there to bail you out.

screw trust, quit being a freeloader. that's all you are until you start paying for more than just what you perceive to be "your share".

20. +1