Just wondering...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PunkerTrav, Jul 28, 2001.

1. Almost all of my decision is appearance based

3 vote(s)
  2. i think apearance is important

26 vote(s)
  3. i dont care what it looks like

5 vote(s)
  4. other.. please specify

1 vote(s)
  1. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    When you are buying a bass, how much does the colour/appearanvce mean to you??
  2. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    appearance means a lot, but it is second to how the bass feels and sounds.
  3. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

95% based on appearance. if it dont look cool i dont wanna rock it.
  4. Hey, Bassheavy's here! Welcome back!
  5. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

thanks alot man!!
  6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    0%. If I like the bass's sound, but it's ugly, it's mine.

However, if I like a certain model, and have a choice in color, obviously I'll get the color I like. I'm not too picky, though.
  7. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i don't care at all about appearance. I go by sound, playability, and price. I got my MIA P-bass in purple finish because all of the other ones were $100-400 more, and i was getting my bass bassed on sound. On the other hand, i think all good sounding basses look beautiful.
  8. Looks are important to me, but feel and sound like others said comes before that. If the price is right, I would be all over an ugly, good feeling bass.
  9. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Looks are secondary for me, but of course you want something that looks sharp.

First and foremost it must sound good, or why bother? Tied for first is playability. If it doesn't play well, I'll dread picking it up.
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Basses are like girls. It's great if they are nice to look at, but if they have a crappy personality, the infatuation dies quickly.:)

I look for playability, sound and durability.

If the bass meets all 3 of these criteria, and looks great as well, it's definitely a keeper.
  11. When I see one I like, and can afford, I try it out. If it doesn't feel right, then it's no good. On the other hand if it does play well and sounds good.....eh!! :D
  12. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think that a bass should look cool. But looks aren't everything. I said that they were important.
  13. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you know - this may be bad to say - but i don't really care if it looks aggressive, or "cool", but that it looks expensive/high-end, whether by actual looks or name recognition.

i mean - i do a lot of jazz jam session type things, normally as the house bassist. and i want to play something that shows that i'm serious and i'm showing up to play. it's my competitive side coming out.

that said - looks ARE secondary to how it plays and sounds. if it doesn't sound like it's as good an instrument as it looks i won't even bother.

14. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    For me it is :

Playability , Playability , Sound, Feel,Looks, did I forget to say Playability?
  15. I'd rather play a cool looking bass that sounds good than an ugly bass that sounds good, but I'd rather play an ugly bass that sounds good than a beautiful bass that sounds like crap. Just not a bass that's as ugly as the Ibanez EDAs. :D
  16. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Thing is, if it is ugly, I likely won't ever pick it up anyway. So, I don't know if it plays/sounds good. Basses are expensive. If I am going to spend my money, it has to have the looks, feel and sound.