just wondering...

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by ryencoke, Jan 21, 2002.

1. 4 good enough for me

28 vote(s)
  2. 5 gives me the low tone i want

12 vote(s)
  3. 6 strings = more things i can play (god i wish i had the money)

3 vote(s)
  1. ryencoke

Nov 6, 2001
    have you ever been making a song, and you cant go deep enough? it happened to me all the time until i got a 5 string, then i started using only the top four (standard four strings) for my songs now i cant go high enough, so im getting a 6 string next summer hopefully...i was just wondering if im the only one with this sound problem or not.

2. i of course started out on a 4 string and from there decided that i had to expand my horizons. i came across a 5 string modulus that i scored for a paltry $600 (this is good for a modulus). i was so excited about it and played it quite a bit until i realized that i was relying way to heavily on the new and improved "bonus" string even if it didn't serve the song properly. i realized that this was a bad habit i was beginning to form and went back to my beloved 4 strings. i've since sold my 5 string and without regret for that matter. i am a true blue 4 stringer all the way!!! just thought i'd share my tale.

3. ryencoke

Nov 6, 2001
    cool man thats great, i would go back, but i find the 5th string goes in well with many songs i make now, i like to use all 5 strings too, it gives me a sense of compliation (and it assures me that not everyone can play it because of the 5th string) its a bit of a bastard way to think...but i like it for that reason along with many others.

add me to msn ryencoke45@hotmail.com or aol ryencoke1 if you want to hear my 5 string slap or anything, or just want to talk...i really dont care.

id attach the file but its too big

4. stenner

Feb 4, 2002
    I currently only have a 4 string, and I'm hoping to get my hands on a nifty 5 someday. 6 would be an extra just for the sake of showing off I suppose. I'd love a 6 for it's versatility, but like it has been mentioned, the overuse of the first and last strings is a mistake. Always know your bounds, then extend them.

We Are Muck
  5. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

I don't have much five string experience. sometimes w/the four string, I can't get a low 'd' when I want one - that's why I detuned the e-string down to 'd' for the opera I wrote ("contemplating the engine room"). I think the bass guitar has to mix good w/the kick drum and give the tune punch. I'm open to new ideas though...

on bass, watt

6. that's happened to me more when i've written songs than when playing them... the last couple of riffs i came up with, i heard them in my head and when i went to figure them out on guitar, i realized that i had to drop the low e to d to play the riffs i was thinking of...

as far as bass, my two cents... i like my five-sting (1996 fender custom shop j-bass)... love the neck on it... the low b just happens to be there and tends to be convenient sometimes. that doesn't mean i'm dropping "phil bombs" all the time either... it's another tool for the box. my question all the time when i approach a new bass line is, "what would watt do?" :)
  7. tonru

Mar 15, 2002
    i'm just a beginner(35 yrs.old),but have tried to simutaneously pick up guitar and bass.i put together a guitar rig last year,and have dedicated this year to bass.i have plans next year of getting a small drum kit.

i knew i would be concentrating on bass most of all,especially with my better friends being bassists.the idea all along has been to be able to create music uninhibited with authentic tones.i've seen too much compromise in band situations for me to go the route of a single istrument.i figure i will gig in a band some day,but will have my own thing on the side to satisfy my personal creativity.

i feel with the addition of a guitar and a drum set,i can honestly say i will probably stick with a 4-string.going for clear midrange:guitar is mohogany(sg),single coil pups;bass is maple(ric),single coil pups;drums will be birch,shallow for short resonance,coated heads on top for a warmer vibe.roadying for a while gave me a sense of the type of gear i wanted.now i'm simply learning,and enjoying it.
  8. Chip

May 2, 2000
    4 string all the way
    nothing is better than a good 'ol 4 string :)
  9. jalepina

jalepina Guest

Mar 6, 2002
    SW Colorado
    I started out with a 4 string... but got a 5 within two weeks. Turns out most of the songs I wanted to play needed that B. Heck of a lot easier than down tuning constantly!
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Hasn't this just been put in the wrong forum? I mean it just seems totally incongruous to post a poll in an "Ask the Pros" section where you are basically asking for that one person's opinion - strange! :confused:
  11. ryencoke

Nov 6, 2001
    good point, i just thought that id get peoples opinion aswell. the actual question was for one person, the poll was for those who chose to read the thread and wanted to input their opinion.

12. ugg, polls :rolleyes:

why waste the bandwith?
  13. watt

thanks for the compliment. I still have much more to explore w/the four string. not to put any five, six or seven stringer down - this is just where I'm at now.

on bass, watt

14. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

I like either 5 or 4, I'm better on 4 because I played mine for 2 years before gettin my 5. I like the sound of 5 and the feel of 4, maybe I'll get a 35'' scale 4 and tune it BEAD. I dunno, It depends what I'm playing.
  15. watt

that's a good point:

"...It depends what I'm playing."

music is a personal expression, there is no _one way or instrument_ that has to fit everyone.

just my opinion. let your freak flag fly.

on bass, watt