1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just Wondering

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sicness, Sep 10, 2003.

1. sicness

sicness Guest

Sep 10, 2003
    California
    I've been playing bass for about 1 1/2 years, but i didn't have a teacher, just kind of self-taught. I was wondering how good u guys were about now if you didn't have a teacher or lessons. I'm not sure where I should be at. Thanks for your help.

2. I've had a bass for 2 years, but the first year I wasn't serious by any degree. I didn't know what a chop/scale was..I'd practice for maybe 30 minutes a day to Metallica's Creeping Death with some fatass pick.

I've only been taking it more seriously for about a year. Hmm, don't know how to describe my abilities. I'm nothing to rave over.

16ths - 160
    triplets - 144 (using Middle Index Middle, i get a tighter 'triplet' sound that way)
    Theory knowledge - Not much. Still on chord structuring, last thing I learned was playing something in any given key.

I don't know what music you listen to, so I won't bother listing songs I can play. Well not ALL of them, but you know.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I began taking bass lessons in 7th grade. One year later, in 8th grade, I was playing in my bass instructor's wedding band (he played guitar).

Making $100 each night was pretty cool for an 8th grader . . .

4. sicness

sicness Guest

Sep 10, 2003
    California
    thanks for the input, any more comment would be helpful!;) :bassist: :bassist: ;)

5. I took up bass at 16, was playing in a pro band (I was still at school!) at 17, and played pro for years, without knowing any theory, no scales, nothing. All I did was learn a sh*tload of songs. About 15 years ago, I went to a music school, where they taught me the Dick Grove theory course, and then went to a teacher who taught me about jazz. I took up upright bass about this time, and have continued my search for knowledge to this day.
    What confuses me is that when I knew nothing, I was working my ar*e off and making sh*tloads of money. Now, after all these years of learning and paying for lessons, I'm working less and earning less. Sigh.........