Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just Wondering

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sicness, Sep 10, 2003.

1. sicness

sicness Guest

Sep 10, 2003
    California
    I've been playing bass for about 1 1/2 years, but i didn't have a teacher, just kind of self-taught. I was wondering how good u guys were about now if you didn't have a teacher or lessons. I'm not sure where I should be at. Thanks for your help.

2. I've had a bass for 2 years, but the first year I wasn't serious by any degree. I didn't know what a chop/scale was..I'd practice for maybe 30 minutes a day to Metallica's Creeping Death with some fatass pick.

I've only been taking it more seriously for about a year. Hmm, don't know how to describe my abilities. I'm nothing to rave over.

16ths - 160
    triplets - 144 (using Middle Index Middle, i get a tighter 'triplet' sound that way)
    Theory knowledge - Not much. Still on chord structuring, last thing I learned was playing something in any given key.

I don't know what music you listen to, so I won't bother listing songs I can play. Well not ALL of them, but you know.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I began taking bass lessons in 7th grade. One year later, in 8th grade, I was playing in my bass instructor's wedding band (he played guitar).

Making $100 each night was pretty cool for an 8th grader . . .

4. sicness

sicness Guest

Sep 10, 2003
    California
    thanks for the input, any more comment would be helpful!;) :bassist: :bassist: ;)

5. I took up bass at 16, was playing in a pro band (I was still at school!) at 17, and played pro for years, without knowing any theory, no scales, nothing. All I did was learn a sh*tload of songs. About 15 years ago, I went to a music school, where they taught me the Dick Grove theory course, and then went to a teacher who taught me about jazz. I took up upright bass about this time, and have continued my search for knowledge to this day.
    What confuses me is that when I knew nothing, I was working my ar*e off and making sh*tloads of money. Now, after all these years of learning and paying for lessons, I'm working less and earning less. Sigh.........