Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just... wow

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Brendan, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Midwest/07/14/mistaken.identities.ap/index.html

"For days, one family kept a bedside vigil for a bandaged-up boy whom they believed was their badly injured 16-year-old relative. Meanwhile, the other family prepared to bury the boy they thought was their dead 17-year-old relative.

But the moment Patrick Bement's parents saw the face of the boy in the casket at the funeral home, they feared a terrible mistake had been made.

"We told them, 'It's not our son. It's not Patrick,"' said Michele Bement, the boy's stepmother."

2. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    At least it wasn't the other way around. Then again, what about the other family.

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    The kind of ineptitude that exists in this world can get pretty amazing.

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    atleast the funeral was alreayd paid for...

:rolleyes:

5. This brings to mind Edgar Allan Poe's, "The Premature Burial."

Perish the thought! :eek:

Mike

6. Ugh.
    This reminds me of my friend who was in a car crash last September. I made a thread about it, maybe some of you remember it.

Anyway, in my friend's case, he was in a van with 5 other Korean kids, and everyone had teased my friend, who was sitting behind the passenger seat, and the one who was sitting in the front passenger seat that they looked alike.
    Well, when another car crossed over the median and hit my friend's van windshield-to-windshield (the other car was airborne and flipped a few times first), the driver and front passenger were killed, and my friend was seriously injured.
    My friend's wallet was lying next to the deceased front passenger's body, and the police thought the ID belonged to said deceased young man, and so called my friend's parents who were back in Hong Kong and informed them that, sadly, their son had passed away in a tragic accident.
    While they were on the plane, the other boy's family had arrived at the hospital, but the boy's brother took one look at the comatose young man and said, "That's not my brother."

Seriously, that has got to be the worst way to find out that your son/brother/cousin/uncle/other relative is, in fact, dead. :crying:

7. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    That has to be such a mindf*** for both families.

8. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    heh, feel real bad for family who was taken care of the boy...

"The Saturn driver was the only person in the car wearing a seat belt and escaped with minor injuries."

Will never understand that:/

If they crossed onto upcoming traffic, driver should be worse off (my cousin was worse as well when he got into head-on (with seatbelts)) and people still don’t wear them... how hard is it to put them on people? :/

Feel bad for them, but people, some common sense. Its like i can't really feel bad for that lady who hit my cousin because she thought she was 007 and could drive like one... i just can't, maybe i am wrong