1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Justice Bass effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dinghy, Mar 14, 2008.

1. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    What effects do they use on the songs DANCE and DVNO specifically? I'm fairly sure it's not synth, just really heavy effects. Even if it is synth, what effects would I need to achieve the sound on an electric bass? I'm really looking for the slap sound on DVNO mostly, but DANCE has some meaty tone too.

DANCE:

2. Well its definitely heavily compressed... then I hear a ton of fuzz. I don't really know how to get the tone, but I'm sure some more hardcore Justice fans will chime in.

I have tried to get that tone for my roommate's DJing project, but all I was using was a Stingray through Sansamp BDDI for fuzz and I was barely in the ballpark. A Ric or P-bass would have probably been better...plus a Tube Screamer or something..

3. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I have an ATK. If I get a compressor and some fuzz might I get there? Also, would low guage strings be better for this? I was thinking of changing anyways.

4. Although I am a fan of compressors, I think that in your case, I would focus on which specific fuzz effect(s) they use for that tone instead of getting a compressor right away. His tone is compressed, but the whole mix is even more compressed and probably side-chained to the kick, etc...and all of that has something to do with his tone. I'd use google or wait for someone on here who knows to find out what kind of fuzz he is using.

5. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    When you said fuzz, it reminded me of this pedal: http://www.olcircuits.com/olc_flipster.html

Do you think that might get me in the ballpark? I wanted one before, but if it can get me Justice, then I don't think I can keep myself from getting the kit.

I did use google, didn't find anything of value in it. Someone said they ran synth bass through an old distorted tube amp to get some of the songs' tones, but I think this is different.

6. eshears

eshears

Jul 30, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    The Flipster is not a fuzz...it's a mild overdrive modeled after the Ampeg SB-12. Search for "fuzz" right here in the effects forum, and you'll get tons of info...

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1

Also fuzz, and old tube amps, provide inherent compression, so no need to buy/add a compressor before figuring out the fuzz situation.

8. Very true!

9. Ben_Bassist

Ben_Bassist

Sep 8, 2006
    I am after the sound on we are you friends by justice v simian.
    :bassist:

10. Silver Hammer

Silver Hammer

Aug 17, 2006
    Like someone said above heavy compression sidechained to the kick. And I'm pretty sure Justice use an effect called Speakerphone on alot of their stuff http://www.audioease.com/Pages/Speakerphone/speakerphone.html . But as they are producers these effects are added after the fact on a PC. It'd be possible to run the effect on a laptop and run your signal through that but I don't see you getting the sound with pedals.

11. cathal

cathal

Mar 21, 2007
    London, England.
    on we are you friends i'm pretty sure that is synth, but i suppose you could match that sound using an EHX BMS or similar

12. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I'm on the fence as to whether or not the bass in DANCE is a synth or not. It sounds super synthy, but there are a couple very bass guitar like things it does (like a very convincing slide). Dunno.

Anyway, with my setup the closest I got to that tone was running envelope filter >> fuzz >> compression >> radio isolator. I played with my thumb and palm-muted and also made sure not to actually trigger the envelope so it acted as a stationary low-pass filter. You could probably get away with just a fuzz (if you can set it just perfect) and a lot of muting.

As for DVNO, slap bass, plus some DJ looping through Speakerphone makes a lot of sense.

By the way, thanks Hammer - I wouldn't have tried the radio isolator in my KP3 had you not mentioned Speakerphone. It gets the sound a lot closer.

13. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I checked out the Speakerphone website and WOW, that's an awesome program. However it said I needed to have pro tools first, but after that, since it's a plugin, how do I get it?

Also are there any other programs that could get a similar effect?

14. cathal

cathal

Mar 21, 2007
    London, England.
    im sure it would work on any VST / DIVX programme, or is it only for top end recording software?

15. Ben_Bassist

Ben_Bassist

Sep 8, 2006
    Yeah I have an EHX BMS, trying to get close to the sound still.

16. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I think speakerphone is the way to go, but there's no way I can afford it. Is there any other program that may come close.

Also would low-guage strings help? It sounds like low guage strings to me for some reason in DVNO at least.

17. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    great song, the only synth i was able to get a similar tone on was the Akai Deep Impact.

18. Dan_T

Dan_T

Oct 18, 2008
    I've been looking into this question reasonably, and it seems like no general consensus was really reached. Can anyone recommend a compressor that would compress enough to turn slap bass into the sound that justice uses?

19. Bootzilla

Bootzilla

May 4, 2009
    Im a justice fan and heard somewhere that they had a bass player while recording cross. They probably heavily processed the bass inside some production software (like protools). You can get close by using a fuzz or the ehx bms. For fuzzes you should look into the Devi ever bassfuzz and the malekko b:assmaster. As for side chaining the bass so it gets compressed during the kickdrum hits, it is just not doable live unless you make a full digital live setup which is a pita and costs a lot.

My advice if you want to play justice live is to create a similar sound but put your own spin on it and make sure you capture the energy that makes justice so great. Just capture the main theme of the song and adjust it so you can play it live.

20. Dan_T

Dan_T

Oct 18, 2008
    Yeah my band does some covers live. I've been using a woolly mammoth into an octave for the main buzzsaw type of sound, but I was wondering if I could get a little closer to the slap bass compression for recording purposes / live to use as an effect. I probably don't really need it, but thought it'd be fun to give it a try. I was recording phantom 2 as an experiment with just bass, guitar, and drums, and ironically the actual slap bass was the only part I couldn't get sounding decent. It seemed too empty, even when I used the admittedly bad compression on my boss recorder. I guess I want to work on making it fatter and pop a bit more, which I assume might be a better, heavier compressor.