Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JUSTICE IS SERVED!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by malthumb, Jun 9, 2005.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Back in September I posted a thread about an incident where a family friend and leader at my church was car-jacked and murdered in our church parking lot.

Well, the final chapter was written yesterday.

Justice for Bob

I was in the courtroom for the procedings on Monday. It was like an episode of "The Twilight Zone", or at least, a really bad "Matlock" episode. Both defendants were tried simultaneously, but there were two juries. One for each defendant. Each defendant was represented by separate counsel.

In the morning, CSI reported out on the forensics. They were able to match DNA to place Emmanuel Williams, the 13 yr old, in the car. Since both defendants were involved in wiping the car down when they ditched it, there were no useable prints. Earl Rodgers, the 17 yr old who did the shooting, figured since there was no DNA linking him to the car or the crime scene, he would take the stand. His attorney protested vigorously. Williams' attorney even tried to advise him not to, until the judge threatened to report him to the bar if he continued to interfere with another attorney's client.

First, the defense had Rodgers' ex-girlfriend ("one of my females" as Rodgers later described her during his testimony) take the stand. She said Rodgers was at her house from 3:30 - 4:30. The shooting happened at about 4:00. She said at 4:00, Rodgers went into her house to take a shower. Then his sister, who lived down the street from the girlfriend, said she saw him in front of the girlfriend's house the entire time from 3:30 to 4:30. No mention of him going in for a shower at 4:00. Then he got on the stand and said he was with three friends in a car in front of her house. Naturally, the prosecutor asked why he'd signed each page of a 6-page confession if, as his new story went, he wasn't even there. He explained that although it was his name, it wasn't his signature and that furthermore, he could not have read the confession that the police sargeant "made up" because he can't read. :eek: :eek: :eek: He was truly proud of that fact. It was sad. The prosecutor introduced evidence later that afternoon and on Tuesday that proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he'd recited, read, and signed the confession.

Thankfully this is all over. The epilogue will be when Williams, who is now 14, is sentenced. He was tried and convicted as an adult, but can be sentenced as a juvenile, as an adult, or given a blended sentence. Depending on how they treat his status he could be incarcerated until he's 21 or, if treated purely as an adult, he too could get life. Personally, I'd favor a blended sentence with a critical assessment at 21 to determine if he can be rehabilitated or should then enter the adult penal system.

Peace,

James

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    James, I remember that shooting on the news, wow I didn't know that was your church! Tough deal, I'll keep you guys up in prayer.
    Steve B

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It doesn't bring him back, but at least family and friends have the comfort of knowing that the crime is not going unpunished.

If the 17 year old does get life, under Michigan law, how long before he is eligble for parole?

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Dude, that sounds really wild. Is this what our world is coming to? In a church, for cryin' out loud? Thank God for our system of justice, such as it is. If the best we can do is put those people away, then so be it. Personally I'd prefer stocks and public flogging, but maybe this way it'll give those people some time to think about what they've done. I can only hope that time will help them reflect on their actions. I'm happy that some justice seems to have been achieved, people like that are on a "way" wrong path. Thanks for sharing that with us, I hadn't seen your earlier post about this. Best wishes to you and you friends.

5. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    In Michigan, 1st degree murder is automatically life, no parole. Period. Earl Rodgers was convicted of 1st degree murder. He's gone for life.

6. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I remeber you posting about this... trully sucks...

When you first posted it i was trying to figure out what kind of thing could do that... then i kinda understood then when you said that he was proud that he couldnt real... i know the type...

Personally... even though a lot of people say that its comfort thing i think of it more of safty... I really dont want to see "thing" who does such thing out... ever... but more important i dont want to see him out because some other dumb kids will go "oh so even if i dont get away with murder i will go to jail only for 4 years? crap i might as well do it"

And its not 100% for safty of others... its for safty of that dumb kid with hope that he will get smarter and acctually do something out of his life simply because he doesnt want to go to jail for life...

7. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

it's a terrible situation , with no winners .
    the families of those kids are going to suffer as well as the family of the
    victim ... all families involved lose someone they loved forever .

i agree with you James , the 13 year old should be re-evaluated at age 21 ,
    to determined if there is any possibility of rehabilitation ...

the 17 year old is another story ... life without the possibility of parole
    would be hell on earth , and he seems to have gotten what he deserved .

jmo ...

8. Yes, James, I remember this.

Again it doesn't bring your friend back, but I hope it brings at least a little closure to his family and to you.

Mike

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Wow! I'm glad it's almost over!

I, too, remember you posting about this, and felt sorrow.

I'm glad this chapter is almost closed.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Good news!!

-Mike

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, nothing good can ever come of something like this.

At least the killers got what they deserved.

12. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    In a twisted sort of way, some good has come of this. The 17 year old had been in and out of juvenile detention facilities since the age of 12. That was just for the crimes he was caught and convicted of. By his own admission in court there were many others that he was never accused of and many where he was accused and walked. The 13 year old was following him down that same path. Try to imagine the amount of damage that these two could have caused had they gone unchecked. Try to imagine the amount of influence they would have had on other generations of kids following them. I believe that at least in this case, we cut the weed at the root and saved multiple other families unimaginable grief.

Peace,

James

13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    indeed justice is served...

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That is great news. Unfortunately, most states do not have 'life without parole' sentences.

This is one of the reasons that Texas leads the nations in killing death row inmates. A lot of these guys would have gotten the 'life without parole' sentence instead, if it existed.

I have seen several cases in the media where a person would get 'life', and then be out 7 - 10 years later on parole.:rolleyes::(

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    True, I never thought of it that way.