Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Justice is singing a different tune

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Mike Dimin, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    From yesterday's Albany Times Union

2. I feel there is a backstory to this that I missed, because I'm terribly confused right now. :crying:

3. From what I gather, this is what happened:

A bassist and his band had a propensity for playing at extremely high volumes, much to the chagrin of some of their neighbors. Because of this, they sent out flyers to the neighbors notifying them of the practice times and days, and told the neighbors to come to them first to issue any complaints.

All was good until one couple nearby decided that instead of going straight to the bass player, they were going to call the state police repeatedly. The state police ignored them.

Coincidentally, a judge also lived in the neighborhood, and decided to take matters into his own hands by issuing a court order to make them stop playing. Because the judge did not have any formal complaints or cases in front of him when making this decision, the state judiciary board slapped him with a censure for WAY overstepping his bounds.

Basically, just being a judge does not give you more power than the common man to give orders. You too must follow the rule of law.

4. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    But eventually the guy was popped for playing too loud anyway, rendering the whole story kind of pointless.

5. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    Yeah, but the judge took himself off the case and the charges were dropped. So nothing happened.

That's a victory for musicians in general, not just bassists.