Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Justification for severe GAS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tombowlus, Sep 13, 2004.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Okay, I will readily admit that I have a problem with acquiring too much stuff in general, and especially with regard to bass amplification. And to a certain extent, it's just because I find it fun to tinker around with different types of gear. But, the part of my brain that at least tries to rationalize my behavior does occassionally throw out "what if?" scenarios that attempt to justify holding onto way too much gear.

As luck would have it, this past Saturday night, that side of my brain finally had a chance to sit back and say "See! I told you we'd need that!" (And by "we", I must mean all of those different voices inside my head... :ninja:). On Tuesday, I found out that our sound man did not have our gig on his calendar, so we were stuck running our own sound in a biggish room with difficult acoustics. Not to fear, with a basement full of gear, and a few well-placed additional purchases, here is what I managed to throw together:

For the main PA, I decided to tri-amp (which necessitated the purchase of a crossover, but I'd been considering that for a while). Each side of the PA (running dual mono) looked like this:

Epifani T-112 (lows)
    EA VL-210 (mids)
    Epifani T-110UL (mids)
    EA VL-208 (mids)
    Yamaha PA speaker (highs)

In addition to the T-112's, I had an ACME Low B-2 sitting between the drummer and I covering the lows as well.

For monitors, we had:

Three VL-110's across the front and a VL-208 for the drummer (all were tilted back with the bottom handles on top of bricks, which worked really well)

In case y'all are wondering, the mids were driven with my PLX-3002 from my rack rig, and since this was my most powerful amp driving some really good speakers, I had the mids carrying a big chunk of the frequency range. The low frequency cabs were driven by my previous rack system amp, an Audio Centron RMA-1600. Highs were driven by - get this - my Walter Woods Ultra. The Yamaha's are an older pair (and I forget the model), but I replaced the horn tweeters with some really nice Selenium compression drivers and lenses, and their high end is very good. Plus, I could mount them on stands and get the horns up over the heads of the folks up front. The othe guys in the band couldn't believe that the little WW was more powerful than most of other amps involved! The monitors were driven by our old Peavey CS-800.

For my own bass rig, I used my Accugroove Whappo, Jr. and Tri 210L (both set for 4 ohm), driven by my iAMP 800. This is the first time I had put those three together in a live situation, and all I can say is "Hubba, Hubba!!!"

Okay, this left a few cabs and one amp at home, right? Well, our guitar player's amp (Reverend Hellhound) blew a fuse, and I ran home and picked up my Walkabout and Hevos Midget. In truth, they made for a pretty killer little guitar rig!

In the end, I did have a handful of cabs still at home, but all in all, I think I did a commendable job of using the bulk of my bass amp/cab collection in a very positive manner. :D

And the best part is, I had numerous people (including the bar managers) tell me that it was the best sound that we had ever had in there. :hyper: So, we will probably run our own sound more often. The downside is transporting all of this gear. It took me two trips in the wife's SUV, and would probably take three in my Audi. Next time, I am borrowing a buddy's work van, for sure!

So there you have it. GAS justified!!! (to a certain extent, at least).

Later, Tom.

P.S.
    Sorry, no pictures this time...

2. What does GAS actually mean, is it a US saying, is it like the English saying "wish List "!

Marty

3. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Gear Acquisition Syndrome ;)

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You're a crazy man, Tom...and GOOD JOB, BRO! :cool:

5. Yikes! You're a gear machine! Must've been some kinda tone.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Tom, you are one sick puppy! Glad to hear your overabundance of bass cabinets got you guys through the gig.:D[​IMG]

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Tom,

How big was the room? Just for kicks, I set up a PA system using some of my bass gear the other day. I was doing some work on my VG-8 guitar rig, and needed a reference system to work some stuff out. I used 2 single 15 EV cabs, with 1 CXL 112 and a homemade 1 X12 coax cab with a Selenium that I built a while ago on the tops.
    Powered it with a Crown K2. Interesting thing was, I didn't use, or need, any crossover, and it sounded just as nice as my 3 way triamp PA, which has EV 10s and JBL horns, and really nice BSS crossovers. I'm gonna take this rig out on a gig soon, just to see how far it throws, and how it plays in a different room.

Oh, yeah: it sounded pretty nice with my EUB as well. :cool:

8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    There is but one response to this: Wow!

I don't doubt that the sound was great, but wasn't it a pain hauling all that gear?

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It sounded really, really good! Playing CDs through this system during to test how it would sound, my fellow bandmates and I couldn't believe how good it sounded, and that was with no EQ or dynamics processing (which I had on hand, but did not have to use). The EA cabs are very much full range, and the Epifani's are nearly so.

10. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    That's pretty impressive. Good thing it was a local gig, eh? I hope you got to keep the Soundman's cut.

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, yes it was. I am hoping for a few more helping hands the next time I do this! Actually, with people to help carry, it isn't bad, as none of the cabs are difficult to carry on their own.

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, with this band, we all pretty much kick in and lend a hand, so even though it was mostly my gear, they all helped set it up and tear it down (though I did the to and from the gig transporting on my own). So, it was an even split.

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'm not sure how to describe this room. It's an old (and I mean OLD!) train depot, and it has very high ceilings, and is kinda broken up in the middle, where the bathrooms were added. I think fire code capacity is around 300 people, and we usually hit pretty close to that mark (and sometimes over!).

I had done a similar setup on even shorter notice before, and I ran two full-range stacks using a VL-210, and two VL-208's on each side (one side was a VL-208/VL-110), and this sounded awesome. But I wanted to keep the really high stuff out of people's ear canals, so the high end speakers went up on stands, and I wanted to be able to boost the lows to give the kick a nice thud, but not introduce too much boom to the low mids. Rather than EQ-ing to accomplish this result, I thought it'd be easier to use the crossover.

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    You really think so, Tom?