1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Justified Purchases for a Gig You Do Not Have?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Smallmouth_Bass, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Have you ever justified the purchase of a bass (or other equipment) based on a gig you do not have?

2. Justifying to yourself or a significant other?

3. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I often buy groceries when I'm not hungry because I know sooner or later I will be.

same for buying gear..I don't need to wait for a gig to know I need great bass tone.

4. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Unless someone else is paying, you shouldn't have to justify anything to anyone. You want it, you get it. Never quite understood the "justify my bass/amp/whatever" deal.

5. Yeah, the only justification required usually is to the girlfriend.

But honestly, i feel a little guilty when i buy stuff for a gig i do not have. I have counteracted this by doing more writing and solo oriented stuff :)

Justification breeds motivation

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I can justify every purchase I've ever made.
    That don't mean I needed it?
    Be guilt free.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont have any gigs right now. I play for fun and jam with buds. I can justify everything I own.

8. Kinda yes, kinda no. I typically base my decisions on sounds I like personally. However, I'd never buy a particular bass for any specific band if I didn't want the bass for myself since I've done that before and the bands never got off the ground.

9. Well before I purchased my first instrument, I wasn't even in a band yet. Usually you purchase stuff and practice before you book gigs, not the other way around!

10. WildTrkey

WildTrkey Banned

Mar 1, 2009
    Well my justification is simple: A Jazz doesn't sound like a Precision and a Precision doesn't sound like a jazz!:)
    That's why I own both and they're both great specimens.

Next up? Hopefully a Jack Cassady hollowbody (I'd settle for an Allan Woody)

Also, I would like to complete my Leo family with a G&L and a Stingray.

I think that would cover any and all basses ;) gig or studio wise.

Hopefully by the time I'm 40.....

Oh wait! Gotta throw a Mudbucker in there, the ever popular EB-0/3. Whew!

11. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    [/thread].

12. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    How about if it's a bass that you would like, but don't need just yet (or may never need for that matter)?

While I still try to justify my purchases somewhat, my final justification is always that I buy it because I want it and I like to have nice equipment. Anything beyond that is just a plus.

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Get the basics you need and be patient. Savings matters more than GAS, IMHO.

I have never gone into debt for gear, or stopped my regular saving. I put extra aside until I can afford what I need or want.

14. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Pretty much every bass I've bought after the first one!

15. As long as YOU enjoy it, that's all that matters. I had been in a few experiences where it was suggested that they wanted me using other stuff and one required it. I have no objection to buying what I want, but in this case there would have a negative return on investment for something I wouldn't use otherwise.

16. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I fall into that category....
    Someday I'd like to buy a 5 string 20th anniv StingRay. But I have no need for a fiver.

17. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I wasn't really thinking of someone else requiring it or justifying it.

I've seen a few bands play live and think to myself that that would be a good band to play in and imagine what bass would be best suited for the gig. Then I find myself GASing for an instrument that I don't have the gig for.

18. crayzee

crayzee

Feb 12, 2009
    Mississauga, ON
    I don't have to justify anything to anyone. Granted, I don't have much gear anymore but unless it's getting in the way of more important stuff (like bills, etc...) I wouldn't worry too much about it.

19. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Yep.. I have a complete setup for "future" gigs.

1-6 String
    2-Unlined Fretless
    3-Rackmount Biamp w/Cabinets I've Made.

I know it's kind of silly... it's super easy blow the competition out of the water even before it's the gear is turned on.

Funny thing is that eventually I end up playing a $300 bass with a headphone monitor DI.

I can setup my rackmount in about 4 minutes.

Unfortunately some kids are attracted to candy.

20. shamus63

shamus63

Dec 17, 2005
    San Mateo, CA
    Same here. Better to be gig-ready than passing the call on to someone else.

3 P-Basses
    2 Ashdown Heads (MAG 600 and 300 EVO II)
    1 Cab (Mesa-Boogie Powerhouse 2x15)

Summer's not far off...