Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Justifying a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cambass, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Ok, I feel like a new bass. I currently play a Cort B5 which I've had for a year or so, it's a fantastic bass but I also recently bought a cheapie Ibanez P-bass copy and have decided I like four strings again, plus the Cort feels a little akward now. So, I've always wanted a Fender Jazz, I can only afford a MIM which is still about $1000 here in Aus. The question that I place in my mind is should I spend this much money?

Is this something you worry about? Should one rationalise these purchases or just do it? :meh:

2. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    You're asking US???

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If you can't afford it, don't buy it. Aside from that, it's up to you. :)

4. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    I'm all about buying basses I can't afford :eyebrow:

5. Q ) Should you spend this much money?
    A ) If you really want the bass buy it as long as the purchase will not cause any financial hardship in the near future.

Q ) Should one rationalize these purchases, or just do it?
    A ) Just do it. See answer to question #1.

My story: For about 20 years I rationalized myself into not buying an Ernie Ball Stingray because they were a little on the expensive side for someone like myself who is not a professional musician.

Three years ago I just said damn all the torpedos and bought one.
    Three years later it is a decision I have not, and will never regret.
    I could not be happier with my Stingray, and only regret not buying one sooner.

I say buy it.

All the above advice is my own humble opinion, naturally.

Mike ;)

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Justifying a new bass is eazy.
    Paying for it, is another story.

7. If you start justifying a bass purchase, then you probably don't need one.. or want one so bad ,just like me. :)

8. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

+1 i dont need justifacation. although my family thinks otherwise. but financially thats where it matters. if its gonna break my wallet some time down the way i tend to stay away. however, if i can do well then i do.

9. Once again the logic of Talkbass and it's inhabitants shines through, you guys rock!

Now I just have to decide which bass I want :D

10. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    oh no, thats worse than deciding to buy it....

11. Are the strings dull on your main bass?
    Buy a new one.

:bassist:

Mrs 12-String has stopped falling for that one now.... :mad:

12. Woohoo! I ended up buying a MIM jazz bass, best $1000 I've ever spent, I love this bass!

13. Congrats, Cambass! :bassist:

What good is money unless we can buy ourselves a little something once in a while? And unlike a vacation or night on the town, it's something you can enjoy every day. :cool:

Much good luck with her.

Mike ;)

14. Basextravaganza

Basextravaganza

Sep 19, 2004
    I allready have 21 instrumenst, but still wanting more. If you post a question like that here, you are trying to find an excuse to buy one. It's very simple, you allready bought it in your mind. Now buy it in the shop.

15. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Life is short, buy more basses. :cool: