1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Justin Chancellor in Fear Inoculum!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jhu32, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Jhu32

Jhu32

Dec 14, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    TOOL released their first album in 13 years today! His tone in this album is freakin' amazing, the Wal is on a whole different level in terms of sound. What do you all think of the album?

lizardking837 likes this.
  2. CoR Bass

CoR Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Basses, Ashdown Amplifiers, Morley Pedals
    Warwick built him a bass a couple of years ago. I'm wondering if he used that on the album or not. His tone has always been great.

3. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I don't know if he plays Wal as his #1 any more. Warwick has made a big deal about building basses for him.

4. gr8avocado

gr8avocado

Mar 23, 2012
    North Carolina
    It's still the Wals. From what I've read the Warwick didn't work out for him and he actually sent them back. From watching new concert footage he's playing Wal and actually used a Stingray HH on one song.

nibs208 likes this.
  5. nibs208

nibs208

Sep 10, 2007
    “Wal Basses” and Ernie Ball Musicman both get shout outs in the liner notes. No mention of Warwick anywhere. Safe to say it didn’t make the grade. Descending was probably recorded with the Stingray and the rest with the Wal. As for the record and the playing goes, I’m having a good time listening to it. It’s great to have and extremely popular band that obviously put immense amounts of work and effort into their art and make no compromises, jump ahead of the plain pop stars of the day. These dudes are in and around their 50s and for them to come back after 13 years with an exciting, creative, output that has something to say, is really amazing to me. I don’t think of another band with that long between records where I wasn’t let down.

dr_gonzo and gr8avocado like this.
  6. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    I'm loving the album. Constant repeat all weekend, and thank goodness it was a long weekend. JC's tone is supreme, as usual, but it's amazing how, even for relatively long jams, he and Danny just keep everything chugging forward.

And, now, it looks like I'm going to have to re-read Dune. :)

7. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    According to a recent interview, Justin used his Wal on most of the new album. "Culling Voices" is a 63 P Bass in Lake Placid Blue. The first half of "Descending" is a custom-built Stingray HH with two 12v batteries and a brass pickguard, and then it's the Wal for the back half.

He's currently awaiting delivery of a brand new lighter Wal with increased shielding as his current Wal picks up radio interference live.

He still has the Warwick, only because he got a factory tour and like any of us given the chance, asked to have a bass made. He's experimenting with pickups and preamps for it.

He's not into the idea of a signature bass.

lizardking837 and BWorm like this.
  8. Warwick was returned, posted for sale on Warwicks site and sold in the spring.

The P bass came in for something around the middle of the song IIRC

9. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    It is refreshing to find music of substance charting again after all these years.

10. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    I just lifted what he said from the interview. He claims to still have "a" Warwick, maybe not the one sold in the spring, so go figure.

Marihino likes this.
  11. He might....I was more referring to your "still has THE Warwick" comment.

12. If this is the interview you lifted it from, it was done while the bass was still new to him and before he gave it back. If not, it might be an interview I have heard/read, so if you could share.

Who knew, right?

“We all hung out and were given a tour around the factory, and I ended up - because I couldn’t resist - saying that I’d love to get a bass made. I picked out the wood and they sent it out to me. It’s an absolute beauty. It’s very different- sounding from my Wal, so I’m still experimenting with pickups and different preamps and stuff, but it’s definitely going to be an epic bass.”

13. EDIT (since now you have to pay to edit your posts i will have to make another post) I forgot to ask @Bassmingo if the "He claims to still have a Warwick" comment was in this same interview you read. Because i just went through all of his interviews and podcasts from the last year, and i don't see this anywhere.

14. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    Yep, same interview. I was surprised to read it myself because I remember reading (possibly here) that the bass was returned. I didn't know the interview was conducted that long ago.

15. Phew....I kept second guessing myself on what I read. **nerd alert**

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021