Justin Chancellor of TOOL

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dadodetres, Jan 13, 2005.

1. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    love his playing/tone, i know he uses WAL basses, but i readed somewere he also used musicman, is this right?

whos a tool fan here??
  2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Meh. Bring back Paul D'Amor.
  3. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Paul D'Amour used a Rickenbacker at first, but then switched to a Stingray.

Justin used a Stringray to record one or two songs on AEnima (46&2, and something else), but he's never used anything besides his Wal live.
  4. readed?

And yes, I'm a huge tool fan. I think it is possible to get his tone without a wal or stingray, but it would be very hard indeed. I have fun fiddling around with my effects board to get Justins tone, I come up with some great tones while I'm at it too.
  5. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    yea paul was cool. his post tool material is really good too (lusk, replicants, feersum injin). pauls first tool bass was actualy an ovation magnum, early pre-opiate bootlegs show that. then he got the ric and then shortly thereafter got the stingray.

justin used a stingray for 46 &2 and h. if im not mistaken. he used greg edwards' wal to record the rest of aenima until his were built. before he has a back up for his main wal he used the stingray for intolerance live.
  6. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    He does have a nice tone. I'll admit that.

But personally I don't want to start playing with a pick. I like playing with my fingers.

The tone is a little different on 46&2 now that I think about it...more punch and less grind you know?

Tool is awesome.
  7. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    well another thing about his tone is that he has a mass of tone shaping things. demeter preamps, the eqs on his amps, his basses controls, boss geb-7 eq, boss spectrum.... its endless. so i mean hes does have it find tuned, but then again his picking technique and if im not mistaken he goes through strings like my uncle goes through toilet paper...alot.
  8. i wouldnt want to limit myself to something and not expand my horizons. a lot can be learned and achieved from playing with a pick.

Tool rips like nobodys business. hope theyre around for a long time.
  9. Speaking of Tool, what is up w/ the spiral thing? Have they ever explained that or done anything other than allude to it vaguely?

Also, were they using bass tracks for live performances for awhile? Cuz I saw them live and didn't see a bassist.
  10. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I think it has to do with Dannys religion; just like how he arranges his drum set, the patern has something to do with the religious beliefe.

Although I'm pretty sure they think tripping on LSD is a spiritual release...
  11. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    i thought playong woth pick was for people who dont know how to play bass...... until i heard tool, and discover not only for the technic you play woth pick, but also you can get increible tone ......

i like justin much more than paul!!!!
  12. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004

what do you mean with that?
    tha fact that they talk about spirals? and theyr art involves spirals?
  13. Off the subject a little, but does any1 no when or if they r bringing out a live dvd. I heard ages ago they filmed the last 6 shows of theyre lateralus tour. Man that would be one hell of a dvd.
  14. Sort of. I keep hearing tool fans talk about how, in interviews, they have explained that all of the stuff on laterallus was based on some ancient mathematical principal involving spirals.

I assumed it was an interview joke/target-audience hook.
  15. shadow wraith

shadow wraith

Dec 1, 2004
  16. Okay, fibonacci sequence, now I remember. It's sorta' been explained to me that far. So not a joke, but obviously something for fans to think about. Good idea for a band that is shrouded in enigmatic hocus-pocus-stylee.