Justin Chancellor Or Paul D'amour?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by slipknot229, Apr 11, 2001.

1. In honor of the up and coming TOOL album i have the following poll:
    Would TOOL have been better off if Paul had stayed with the band or is Justin who they needed from the start. Personally, I can't decide!!!!
  2. snippit

Mar 24, 2001
    They both are good in their own respects and certainly Tool's sound has somewhat fit like a glove with both of them. Personally I like Justin's stuff a little better (not much) but I hear that Paul was with them when they wrote a number of songs of Aenima so yeh.. not much in it either way.
  3. NeoTrotskyist

Apr 2, 2001
    Well, unless i had seen it on the Tool website, i wouldn't have known that they had changed bassists. So i guess that says that either they're fairly even or Justin is good enough to emulate Paul's style. I don't know, i haven't heard Justin playing anywhere else.
  4. I am a huge tool fan and It took me a while to decide between the two bassists. Paul was good with the earlier stuff and justin is amzing with the new progressive stuff. I personally like justin if only because his lines flow a bit better.
  5. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    I would have to say it's about even. I love the aggressiveness of Paul's lines and the nuances he adds like lot's muted notes and pick scraps. I also really dig Justin's slightly trippier style. They're both damn good!

If you want to hear some more of Justin's playing check out his old band Peach. They're pretty cool. Adam Jones from TOOL did the cover art so you'll know it when you see it and you should be able to find the album in any record store.
  6. I like Justin better than Paul. The songs on Aenema are IMO so much better than the other two CD's. Justin comes up with some cool parts and seems to vary the bass lines a lot in songs. Plus he really emulated Paul's sound incredibley well and made it a little better.
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have been a Tool fan for a long time. I guess I would have to lean a little more towards Justin, but it is extremely close. They both fit the music so well, it is hard to choose. I like Justin's tone better, maybe that is why I am leaning towards him.

that's just my opinion
  8. I just read on toolshed actually how adam jones even claimed that justin was a better fit for the band. And he also said that justin wrote almost half of aenema. Food for Thought.
  9. Bassr64

Feb 9, 2001
    A hard decision to make between the two, But I really luv justin's bass sound. It's just so bass-o'licious :p
  10. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Justin, like his sound and playing better.
  11. HEY all you TOOL heads out there, Justin's on the cover of Bass Player magazine. They talk all about his rig and stuff.....VERY cool. PLUS at bassplayer.com, you can watch video clips of Justin playing "Schism".....ONLY 10 DAYS TILL LATERALUS!!!!!
  12. heard the new song. Its got a sweet bass line.
  13. Justin is the better of the two. Paul was good and Justin admitted to comping Paul's style when he joined Tool, but Justin has a much better tone and style. He is just the better all around bassist.
  14. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    I'd say Paul's lines are cooler. Justin has a sweet tone but his bass isnt as driving as Paul IMO

15. I personally like Paul's work on "UNdertow". This is one of the reasons that I started playing. Even with my crappy Fender BXR 200, I can recreate his sound with the chorus on the amp
  16. Doorface

May 18, 2001
    Justin Chancellor is better in my opinion.
    Paul was cool because he could play some crazy thick chords on his bass, but i believe that Justin is faster and more articulate in his styles.