Justin Chancellor or Ryknow?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by CanadianBassGuy, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Justin Chancellor (Tool)

41 vote(s)
  2. Ryknow (Mudvayne)

12 vote(s)
  3. Both

16 vote(s)
  4. Neither

5 vote(s)
  1. Don't know why I'm comparing these two guys, prolly cuz I just listened to "Schism" and got my bro's Mudvayne CD in front of me, but who do you all think is better?

My votes for Justin.
  2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    he has the tone and the basslines!

i would vote Ryknow or Gene Simmons :D
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    With complete confidence: BOTH.

Apples and Oranges. While both bands lean a on the progressive side, Mudvayne is a different beast than Tool. You can look at either, and find faults, and strengths. It's all just who you like. I like both, and find them both really talented. Other people may disagree.

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    As a moderator, you are trained to say that. :)

But really this just boils down to personal opinion.....who ever likes one kind of music/ brand will vote for that particular bass player/ bass on these polls every time.

And Gene definately wins the facepaint contest ;)
  5. In this case though, the non-comparison thing is actually true.

Justin Chancellor is primarily a pick user. He incorporates lots of guitar techniques into his playing, such as strumming, chords, hammer-ons and pull-offs.

Ryknow is a fingerstyle player. He slaps. He pops. I've heard him tap. His tone can range from death metal to mellow ballad.

The two make interesting, exciting, challenging music. While I may not care for James Maynard Keenans voice, and therefore I don't like Tool, I love Mudvayne.
  6. I have a feeling this mught get ugly.

7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Whoa! You're one of the first people who I have heard say that. Most people really like Keenans voice. Oh well. Different strokes...
  8. Yeah, totally different bass players. I personally like Tool better as a band (I can't stand Mudvayne's music) but both of them are awesome bass players.
  9. I love them both. I can't pick between them so I'll pick both of them.
  10. FunkFlo-Mofo

Jun 22, 2001
    I don't see why so many people are impressed with just Schism. It's a cool bassline, but it's nothing spectacular. I mean, if it's odd time signatures that get you, Ryknow has a bunch on his CD, and, in my opinion, his lines are just as creative and a lot more complex than Justin's. Don't get me wrong, though. I love Tool, and I am truly inspired by Mudvayne's approach to metal. Both are outstanding, but Ryknow shows more potential and a helluva lot of creativity.

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    Something has to be hard to be great?? And all this time i thought it was the FEELING....
  12. Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    I haven't really listened to alot of Mudvayne but I think you really are comparing apples to oranges! Ryknow seems to be more of a "Pure" bassist! Justin has more of a guitarists approach to the bass which I can relate to. But it's too hard of a choice. I guess I'd go with Justin if I had to....................BUT I DON'T!!
  13. I'd have to say that everyone in Tool is amazing. I really like Justin's sound and style, especially on Lateralus. The odd time signatures must be really hard to play to, at least to me. They're just an incredible band.
  14. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    They two really are very different players and both perfect for the bands their in. Both write very cool parts, have really cool tones and really push their bands music. Ryknow's a bit flashier and Justin's got a lot of subtle nuances to his playing. I can't say I like one more than the other. I can relate a lot to both players as my style kinda sounds like both of them combined in some ways.
  15. NeoTrotskyist

Apr 2, 2001

His name is Maynard James Keenan.
  16. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    ::bangs his head against the wall:: I...*Thud* Cant....*Thud* Choose!!!!! *Smack!!* Ok I'm ok now. I love both of them. I play a little more like Justin then Ryan with playing different cords, and having a mid/trebley sound but I wear my bass hi and play without a pick and get more of my flashier idea's from Ryknow. And I love both of the singers voice in both bands, and I love both bands so I have to go with both.
  17. Well .. I think the poll is not too clear.. What´s its sense? Who´s better ?

Well.. they sound and perform really differently..
    Maybe That ryknow guy is a better bass player than Justin Chancellor but Tool is DEFINITELY MUCH BETTER than mudvayne.. And I think we´re all sure that mudvayne were -directly or indirectly- influenced by tool´s music.. Tool´s music is more authentic, progressive, emotional, powerful and passionate...
  18. That's all your opinion friend. All of it. That means nothing to me.
  19. bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    i also like both of the bassists. they both kick ass! you think tool has some weird timing, listen to all of the mudvayne cd. anyway, i like them both. oh yeah, anyone know who ryknow's favorite bassist is? he claims it to be john pattitucci from chick chorea electric orchestra. interesting eh?
  20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Preach on brother!