Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Justin Chancellor...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rich600, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    Hey, just wondering if any of you dudes know what kinda of bass Justin Chancellor from Tool uses?
    Also what effects he uses and how to get that Tool-esque bass sound? Thanks
    Rich

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Wal, Mach II i believe. Uses a pick, ..search his name in Effects for the effects he uses.

3. I'm pretty sure the also used Stingrays on Lateralus. I saw an ad, or a poster recently where he was playing on.

Justin!

Though he's playing a Wal there...

4. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    If you go to Bass Central and look up Wal basses, you can see his "signature" model.

5. i have a bass player interview with him about the making of lateralus and he said nothing about using a stingray (he did say that he ditched his music mans before aenima because they didnt have the mids for him)...
    (he did use a fretless wal however)

as far as his typical setup, here ya go:

wal 4 string-proco rat distortion-digitech bass whammy-boss eq-boss chorus-boss flanger-boss delay-sansamp bass driver DI- mesa/boogie m-2000 (x2)-mesa/boogie roadready 8x10 (x2)

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    WIth all those boss pedals in his chain, and the digitech, i wonder how he retains a decent tone at all. :eyebrow:

7. i thought boss pedals were quality? (i havent ever been big on effects, though im considering it)

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    they are but form my experience they suck tone some. (not true bypass).

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    it scares me how fast that mini convo went. we reply too quickly.

10. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    he probably uses a lot more effects than he lets on. and with all his preamp/amp stuffs he'c got a world of eq and tone shaping in front of him.