Justin Chancellor

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by PollyBass, Jul 18, 2001.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    His name i cant remember at the moment. but what is the bass that he uses? im talking about the fairly new guy. I love his tone on "Lataralus".
  2. His name is Justin Chancellor, and he uses Wal basses. Not sure about his amplification, but he was on the cover of "Bass Player" two issues ago, check it out!
  3. jljohnson85

Nov 27, 2000
    Woodstock, GA
    He also plays a Musicman Stingray bass. He plays Mesa Boogie heads and cabs with a Demeter preamp. Another thing that contributes to his sound is that he plays with a pick.
  4. yeah, that ish of BP has all the info you need.

i don't have it at hand right now, but i remember that he uses a ProCo Turbo Rat distortion, a Boss chorus, and a sansamp BDDI, among other things.
  5. And a Digitech whammy pedel
  6. And the essence of James Maynard Keenan
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    And keep in mind that it's a STUDIO recording, they surely used tons of gear on the bass signal to get that sound.
  8. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    a bit off topic here, but anyway...
    does anyone know what that crazy harmonic that Justin plays in "Intolerance" is ?? (first track on "Undertow") i just can't figure it out ... totally original and awesome, IMO.
  9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Thanks guys. ill try and get that issue of Bass Player. Mel basses? ok, im really stupid, ive never heard of them. i could be all cool and say,,"uh,,,,ya.....mel basses." but im not. do they have a website? thanks for the help.
  10. WAL basses. is your monitor upside down or something?

or should i say

11. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    I thought Paul D'amour played on that one?
  12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Here it is, straight from Bass Player:

Wal 4 string
    ProCo Rat distortion
    Digitech Bass Whammy
    Boss EQ
    Boss Chorus
    Boss Flanger
    Boss Delay
    Sans Amp Bass Driver DI
    (2) Mesa Boogie M-2000 heads
    (2) Mesa Boogie RoadReady 8X10's

He used to play Stingray's, but now plays just the Wal basses.
  13. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    oh yeah, you're probably right ! oops :) i'd still like to know what the hell he's doing with those harmonics, tho :D
  14. I went to the Tool concert two days ago in my city. He plays two exactly the same Wal basses (there probably is some difference), and one had a small circular mirror on the upper horn. The other bass he used was (Surprise, surprise!) a greenish/blackish Wal that looked damn cool with the weird lighting that they had at the concert.
  15. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    wow where was this concert at?
    i tried gettin tix but they sold out in 45 secs!
  16. Great inovative bass player, has his own "tradetone" :)