Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

justin chancellor??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Sep 10, 2001.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    whats up all

i was at the tool concert the other night. Oh man, what can i say other than life changing experience. I'm not the biggest tool fan but i had tickets so i went. They are 4 of the best musicians i have ever seen. The one thing i was NOT inpressed with was their new bassist justin chancellor. I mean he might of been real good but i couldnt hear a single note he played. I'm not sure how he eq'd his bass but he couln't cut through the mix at all. Either the guitarist or drummer was drowning him out. well i really hope other concert goers didn't experience this dissapointment. but if tool does come to your town deffinately go to the show, u will not be dissapointed.

2. eViL cAkE

eViL cAkE Guest

Sep 6, 2001
    Just East of Dallas
    Well...as bassists we are all familiar of how difficult our frequencies are to manage. It seems the bass is almost always either hopelessly buried or dominating the texture in most live situations. So the sound man might have just been having trouble with the acoustics of that venue.

However...

In Tool's case I can see how their signature sound/orchestration could contribute to Mr. Chancellor's bass being obscured. For one thing, everyone loves their drummer, so that double kick is gonna be pumpin' through those subs (pretty much obliterating everything in it's wake). Also, Justin Chancellor plays in the upper mid range of the instrument a lot, with a pick, and plays chords pretty frequently, so it's sometimes hard to aurally separate the guitar from the bass. But, there's no doubt about it...Justin Chancellor is one bad mofo!

eViL cAkE
    ;)

3. Really?

At the Tool concert recntly, I could hear Justin really clearly.

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I saw them, and i could hear him fine, it was awesome. i walked away dumbfounded.

5. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    i saw them in düsseldorf/germany and i found the sound to be quite good. all instruments could be heard equally well...

6. justin has a very unconventional sound, playing high passages with a pick and sounding like a guitar at times. perhaps you aren't familiar enough with Tool's catalogue to realize what the bass was doing...

7. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    the thing i like about him is his flexibility - take that high warbly triplety signature riff in "Schism" and compare to his thumping low lines in "Parabola" - damn fine sense of dynamics. there must have been weird sh*t going on, because no matter what he's up to with that Wal, you can *always* hear the guy. awesome bassist, no question.

8. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I saw Tool at Verizon Wireless Center too and I don't know where you were sitting. I was 15th row, almost directly in front of Justin and I could hear him perfect. As a matter of fact, I think that was the most chest pounding live performance i've ever seen. They definetly put out the low end boom. Awesome show and I was very impressed with Justin. I'm always impressed with Maynard live.

9. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Ah the man I steal most from as a bassist:D But Maybe it might have been where you were sitting for the eq, or maybe you werent to used to his sound because from what I know, it cuts through allmost anything(I've used it alot with my band, cranked mids and highs and the low's at around noon.). His chords sometimes blend with the guitar but even then the chords still ring through. I used to be a huge Geezer Buttler Fan(Still am) but Justin gave me a new perspective on playing bass.

10. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    I'm going to see them on Nov. 7th, but I think our seats are in the men's room.:D
    I saw them a few years ago when Paul D'amore was their bassist and I was really impressed. I've never seen Justin live though!