1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Justin Chancellor

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lowner, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    What do you guys think of his playing. I was not really a tool fan until I bought their new album because I was curious why there were magnifying glasses on the packaging. I heard some pretty tasty bass lines on the album and i liked the music too.

What do you think of Justin Chancellor's playing and I know that there was another bassist before Justin. What was he like? Who is better?

Someone told me that Tool's earlier music is heavier and things changed when the first bassist left. Is that true?

2. Their first bassist was Paul D'amour. He definitely wasn't as technical or into effects as Justin but he definitely suited their first two albums.

AEnima, either because of the band, or Justin's arrival ( most likely a combination of both) was very different than Undertow, and the bass playing is a strong example. Justin is alot heavier on effects and experimentation than Paul, but he suits the latter 3 albums perfectly. They're both pick players though.

As per who is better, they both do the job of suiting the songs perfectly, so it is hard to judge. Although I think Justin wins for having many more (this could be due to sheer quantity of songs) memorable basslines than Paul. But who knows, Paul might have done worse, the same or better in Justin's shoes, the band was more straightforward( relative to the band, they were still "out there" compared to other bands ) and now they're more ...experimental? I think that suits it.

Yes the 3D glasses on 10,000 days are pretty cool.

3. Toneonbass

Toneonbass

Jul 1, 2006
    I feel like I payed 15$ for 3 songs. but I love the bass in "pot"

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Not that I don't like Justin, because I do. I like him a lot actually and he's a really nice guy to boot.

But Paul wrote the majority of Aenima, truth be told.

They're both really great in different ways. One is really no better or worse than the other.

5. 905

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    I thought ├ćnima was finished when JC joined. Oh well, what do I know :)

Personally I think it's amazing that he can play even half of what he does with a pick. Take "the Pot" for example, I have problems keeping up with his speed, and I'm playing fingerstyle (2 fingers currently).

Opiate and Undertow are more heavy than the following albums, but they're really cool. I started out with Lateralus, so I got used to "that style" before I bought Opiate, and at first I was really disappointed. I've learned to like it though, I'm glad.

JC and Paul D'Amour have different styles, but TBH I think they're equally skilled for the kind of music they play.

6. i've always found it confusing that paul left before aenima came out, yet helped write most/all of it. i thought he left cuz he didn't like the direction the band was heading in. ?? but he helped write the songs? either way, both bassists for tool are excellent and both of their respective tones are drool-worthy. i like justin a little more probably as i listen more to the more current tool stuff.

7. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I really like Justin Chancellor, he's been one of my biggest influences. Paul's bass tone was very cool, but I think Justin's the better bassist in the end. Does some very wierd/interesting things with that bass :)

As for Justin replacing Paul on ├ćnima... According to Wikipedia, Tool fired Paul because of his "unwillingness to write any new material". Wikipedia FTW!

-Dash

8. VanillaO

VanillaO Poop?

Oct 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    ^ plus a few swear words :D I read that on Friday.. another good read is all the stuff about Lateralus.. wow.

9. sloppysubs

sloppysubs Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    The only people that truly know are the people who were there.

Paul, from every source I know who was there, wrote a good chunk of Aenima. No one is really sure why he left other than musical changes of heart. If you'll notice Aenima, while not Lusk or Feersum Ennjin, did start moving in a more expiremental way.

JC probably did finish out the album, he certainly recorded it. But I'm just speaking from people who I've spoken to.

As far as Wiki is concerned, I read the same thing. Who knows. But if it's about not writing material in a certain amount of time TOOL really can't speak as they take 4-5 years to drop an album. The fact of the matter is that BOTH of them are GREAT musicians and FANTASTIC people. They're very down to Earth and, as we all know, talented.

I like them both very, very much.

10. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    I saw Tool a week or so ago and was really shocked by how good a bassist Justin Chancellor actually is. A lot of stuff on the last couple of Tool albums that I thought was guitar is actually bass using the octave up on the whammy. I did like Tool a lot before but now I'm really trying hard to nail Justin's technique, and I'm listening to a couple of Tool albums each day.

So anyway, any tips for nailing Justin's sound technique-wise?

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I really prefer Justin. Paul did a great job though, laying down some very goods lines with great tone.

12. Brian Fox

Brian Fox

Aug 23, 2004
    Editor, BASS PLAYER
    Justin's tone on 10,000 Days is SICK. That guy grooves hard.

13. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    +1 for Justin

14. Yes. He finally went for the "Paul D'Amour" tone!

Dirty bass, good man, Justin!

....nothing like gritty mids with a bass punch to the chest, and some high-end to slice your head off with.

15. Justin is the only reason I can play with a pick at all.

16. Neel

Neel

Jan 1, 2007
    I was just doing a search for Justin (who is amazing, by the way) and I came across this thread. I don't know if anybody still cares, but there are aenima demos that were recorded with paul (so he obviously contributed). The songs are Pupoopie, Stinkfist, Aenema, and Eulogy. You can get them from various bootleg torrent sites and whatnot.

I definitely don't think those songs have the type of feel that Justin is now known for (eulogy has some of his effects though), so I'm not surprised that Paul contributed to those (and possibly others).

17. ChrisYoung

ChrisYoung

Jan 26, 2007
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I've been waiting for a post like this to come up... I was just about to make one when i saw this. Justin Chancellor has probably been my biggest influence since I've started playing bass 3 years ago. This man has one of the greatest minds for music that I have ever come across and you cannot ignore it if you're a bassist and have heard Tool's music. The guy is a genius. He has bass line timings that will throw you off so hard like a twist in a movie plot that makes your hair stand on end. Sometimes I find myself in a deep trance from a song like Parabola or Schism from listening to his lines thinking 'oh my god I just came, how could anyone ever think of a line like this for a song?' it's like almost not Human. I personally believe that Mr. Chancellor is one of the greatest bassists to date.
    Check this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_LPUkQUou0 - this is Justin doing the bass lines for schism, which really arent even the most technical lines he has done. Goes to show how great this man is at what he does. The creativity is very abundant in this band. TOOL would not be what is is today if all four of these members hadn't stuck around. :bassist:

18. 905

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    I've heard Justin's fretting technique is incredibly poor, anyone know of this?

Also, how can someone not like a bassist who looks like Jesus H. Christ?

19. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Hammering the strings with a pick (or your fingers) would be a big part of it. Although he obviously works his bass to get different tones, the parts I enjoy the best are when he's digging in. Other players with similarly gritty tone do it the same way (myself included.)

I also couldn't help but notice the racks of Ampeg equipment behind him last tour, so I suspect light tube OD is involved heavily with what he does tone-wise.

20. Neel

Neel

Jan 1, 2007
    When you say digging in, what exactly do you mean?