Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Justin Chancellor

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by studg10, Dec 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. studg10

studg10

Dec 4, 2001
    How does Justin Chancellor get his sound? He is awesome! would any of you know how to set up a Bass POD so my bass could sound like his?

2. look for the setting called "Wal" and play through that and you should be fine.

3. studg10

studg10

Dec 4, 2001
    okay is there any other settings that I should make?

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    His basses (Wal) are already voiced with a good amount of midrange. To me it sounds like he just boosts the upper and lower ranges of the EQ a bit for bottom end and that trebly edge Tool is known for. He also uses effects pretty liberally, so there will be some sounds you'll never get without a decent effects arsenal. The effects I hear him use the most are chorus and delay, but there are others he uses to nice effect as well.

5. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    try combining chorus, echo, and whammy effects with overdrive...he uses overdrive alot as well.

btw, justin is an effects god. like seamus said, you need alot of effects pedals to recreat his EXACT sounds.

6. when I checked out his rig in BP, it was pretty minimal as far as effects go.
    I know he's using a pro-co rat for distortion, whammy pedal (digitech maybe?), and he was using his tone knobs for that wah sound on "the patient".
    he may have a couple other things in there, but not a arsenal like you would think.
    to get his sound, try crankin the mids, and play over the bridge pup with a pick. that might get you close.

7. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    His effects - from BassPlayer Magazine May 2001:

ProCo Turbo Rat Distortion
    DigiTech Bass Whammy
    Boss EQ
    Boss Chorus
    Boss Flanger
    Boss Delay
    SansAmp GT2 Bass Driver D1

hope this helps :)

8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    whats a bass pod?

9. That's just the Wal sound. Defined grunting mids, tons of low end and with the "pick attack" on you get more high end zing.

10. cordova

cordova

Oct 24, 2001
    Edmonton
    Anyone know what kind of amp Justin uses?

11. Mesa Boogie heads (not sure which model) and 2 Mesa Boogie 8x10 cabs. I don't have it in front of me but a recent Bass Player mag had Justin on the cover and they had a write-up on his signal chain.

12. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Mesa M-2000 head.

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    there are a few threads pertaining to this very question, do a search and you shall find the answers you seek.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.