1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

justin chancellor

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by limo1, Oct 20, 2009.

1. limo1

limo1

Aug 14, 2006
    would like to take ppl opinion here about justin chancellor of tool
    what do you think about him as a bass player?

2. TheHegemon

TheHegemon

Feb 20, 2009
    Amarillo, TX
    Great player, big influence on my playing. I love his tone in 10,000 Days, especially Jambi.

3. Very solid bassist. Fits Tool perfectly, IMO. Also, he's a tone MONSTER! His tone in The Pot makes me moist.

4. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Guy is really good. I really dig how he uses different styles, chords, and hell even moves the volume knob while playing to get a 'fade in/fade out'. (So I hear)

He is really an active part of their songs as well, not just 'sitting in the mix'.

One day...when I grow up...I wanna be jus like him.....so maybe I'll be like him when I'm 50.;)

5. fender_funk_man

fender_funk_man

Feb 19, 2009
    compositionally he is one of the best bass players (in my opinion). He manipulates every facet of his music and the final product is always impressive. I wish more bands would put so much into their music.

6. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    He's a great player, and his tone in the studio is great. However, his mid-less bass has no presence, live.

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I really like the textual approach to playing that he and Adam Jones use and their interplay. That said, I blame him for the legion of JC fanboys that seem to be under the impression that the only way you can possibly play bass is with a Wal and a Akai Deep Impact. I am a huge fan of tools music, but I put them in the category with the Dave Matthews Band of having the most annoying fans in the world! :D

8. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Im a big fan of tool however I dont dig his bass tones (even though a Wal is my ultimate GAS bass...I like the Geddy Wal tone MUCH more) Lots of songs I wasnt even sure if it was the bass or the guitar. I really like their music and I think he is a great player, its just my personal preference that I wish he would have more of a clean "Wal tone" (if there is such a thing) and not so "effect-ed".

9. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Or the ENDLESS threads here on TB that go:

"How can I get JC's Wal tone without a Wal?"

10. Hehehe. I'm a big fan of both bands and I agree totally.

11. Justin Pearson > Justin Chancellor

...just sayin, in a battle of the Justins... :smug:

12. Chowowbus

Chowowbus

Mar 24, 2009
    Olympia WA
    Justin is one of my all time favs.

13. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    He's a tone beast like everyone else has said, and his effect usage is amazing... but there are about a million threads on him on this forum.

14. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    [​IMG]

LOL...riiiiiiiight.

15. Haha, obviously not talking technical merritt :p...

But seriously, as far as bands i like and would rather listen to; i would choose Swing Kids, Holy Molar, and Head Wound City waaaayyyy before Tool... but The Locust and Some Girls are both kinda 'meh'.

:D

16. RONQUITO

RONQUITO

Dec 27, 2007
    WOW...that GIF is marvelous! Did you make it? :eek:

17. That is great, and saved for future use!!! :D

18. Terry Funk

Terry Funk

Dec 8, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Fantastic player. Very innovative and distinctive. He's not much of an influence on my actual playing, but very much an influence on how I approach the instrument.

19. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
  20. Getaway Driver

Getaway Driver

May 31, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    ...for me, that's what makes it cool. There's so many layers the music, and there's only three instruments + vocals going on. Better yet, there's no magical looping going on... The fact that sometimes I can't pick out which instrument is which really goes to show his versatility and control over the instrument. I get giddy when I hear it.