Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Justin Chancellors bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I am the biggest tool fan you will ever find, and i play a lot of their stuff. I know justin chancellor uses a Wal, i think its a Mach II but does anyone know wat model it is for sure?

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    for all the songs they play he uses a wal mach 2 birds eye maple top with mahogany core. he has two of those, main and back up tuned in drop d. for parabol/prabola and prison sex he uses a wal mach 3 green burst tuned bead or badg. he also owns a fretless american walnut wal which he used to record a verse of the song lateralis on the album lateralis.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    THats what i thought, thanks.

4. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    I finally got the chance to play one of those. They feel super heavy to me.

5. if you were the biggest tool fan, you would be telling him that wouldn't you?

6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Ahh touche`.

Ive got a poster of them on stage (mind you their faces are all blacked out) and it looks like he is using a jazz?

Eh..

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I said im the biggest Tool fan. Im just gettin more and mroe obsessed with chancellor as the days go on.

8. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i know a guy who is obsesed with chancellor. trust me you dont to do that. he is now in a clinic of sorts seeking professional help. and im seriously not even kidding.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well i dont think i would become one of those freaky fanatics you see on TV.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, they're bigger fans than you. So, I guess that means you're not the biggest Tool fan, then.

11. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    no freaky tv fanatic, just your average guy with a problem.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA

Then ill say im the biggest fan without becoming a fanatic. I am the biggest fan that doesnt dream about them.

But really, have you guys seen some of those shows? People lose sleep when the band they love is playing a concert nearby. They follow the tourbus everywhere, hoping to meet them. I think its sad.

13. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    What is fan short for?

14. Good point. :)

Anyway, anyone know what kind of amp setup he has?

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA

Fanny, duh. :p

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Moved to basses since this is dealing with what model his Wal is rather than him as a bassist.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Last time I was aware of it, he was using Mesa Boogie gear. Then I recal someone saying he was uing Hartke gear on the road or some such.

His effects chain is in the BP mag he's on the cover of.

This is all I know. I could be wrong. In fact, I'd wager I am.

18. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ive heard the hartke rumor too. however i have yet to see solid evidence of such. this is jus tmy opinion, but i wouldnt switch endorsements from mesa to hartke...but thats me.

on the last tour they did i beleive it was this:
    mesa m-pulse 600
    mesa m-2000 2 road ready 8x10
    a demeter pre somewhere
    bass whammy
    boss spectrum
    boss chorus, flanger and delay
    tech 21 gt-2, modded rat, some king envelope filter and a slew of tone shaping material.

there could be a lot more or a lot less...but thats what i saw.

19. man......the sounds he gets outta his bass are totally orgasmic, w\ or w\o fxs