Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Justin Chancellor's Sound with a stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MadPink, Apr 12, 2002.

1. is it possible to get a similar sound with a stingray? I know he uses a wal, but im just wondering if a stingray could at all sound closely to the wal.

2. Probably not. A big part of Chancellor's Wal sound is the abundance of high midrange, as well as the "hollowness" that comes with a neck + bridge pickup configuration.

If you traded the stock MM preamp for a Bartolini one, which is really powerful in the upper mids, you might get a little closer, but the Wal lowpass filter electronics have such a distinct sound that I'm not sure if you could cop the sound with a single-pickup bass.

3. For sake of conversation could I modify the stingray to have two pickups? Also why does the stingray only have one? wouldn't it be far better to have two?

4. also, Tony Levin is awsome. Just thought Id add that after seeing you like him.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Depends on how you define "similar". IMO, you'll never duplicate Justin's sound exactly, but you might well achieve "good enough".

6. I dont what the exact sound, I just want to emulate it and then modtify it from there to suit my needs. If I could get close, Id be happy. Actually with the ****ty Ibanez I have now Im getting some what close, but still a long way away.

7. He started with Tool trying to use a MM, he said it didn't have the midrange (from Bassplayer) he was looking for. I sent an email to WAL, the exact bass is about $2300 US dollars. I think a RIC is probably a better way to go if you can't afford the price. That's what D'amour (the original bassist) used.

8. yeah, I read that same article. Thats why i was asking if there was any way of getting a similar wal sound with a MM. Im also thinking about getting an old 4001 RIC. Its not in mint condition, but what can you expect from a bass thats been around since the 70's.

9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, that rick sounds BAD on "Sober" I think chancellor is a ten times better bassist though....

PS, like your sig, TOOL is the greatest band ever. i mean,,, in my opinion.......

10. Tool is a awsome band.....thats only my opinion too, but im sure thousands will agree with us both.

Paul wasn't a real bass player...he normally plays guitar...(have you heard his own stuff with his band Lusk?cool stuff) Justin is a real smooth player, and Paul was more rough, hard hitting kinda guy. I thought the bass on Sober sounded cool. DA DUM CHEECHEE DA DUM CHEE CHEECHEE. Actually I heard a new verison that Justin made up for sober...very cool sounding...I think I like the new one better.

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I would like to hear that version with justin on bass......

12. I think Tool is the coolest too. I've got a real problem with the definition of a "bassists". Both these guys play way out of the box, which is what I find cool. The "normal" fills that most bassists play aren't there. They both kind of couple the guitar & bass sound together to get a sound that is pretty much not the norm. I think that's what music is about. Getting out of the traditional way of thinking.

13. Justin and Adam sorta interchange playing styles. When justin is playing something very guitar like, adam will fill in with something that sorta sounds like a bass line, and then vise versa.

14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    maybe you should try a sansamp dealy and try to dial in that sound with your 'ray. who knows, you may like it. and it may be the cheapest option.

btw-justin started off playing the guitar, too! but he's still the better bass player, as far as i care.

abtw- i can see this getting moved real quick-like.

15. i'll join the conversation. so happy to here people talking about tool. justin is amazing. you can really tell when he is playing. he's got his own style you know. and if you have an ibanez (btb) you can emulate that sound very well. i can. my btb gets me pretty close.

16. yeah, Justin did start playing the guitar first, but only for a few years when he was a young lad. Paul played guitar before tool, and then later on after leaving tool he formed Lusk,where he plays the guitar again.

whats the price range for a new BTB?

17. Didn't Shavo from SOAD use a BTB at one point? I always liked those basses, but im sure they cost a fortune.

18. boost your treble and bass on your stingray and cut the mids down a lot as well.. if you are able to dial in a very subtle amount of overdrive you will have a pretty close sound. Thats what i do. Also use a lot of effects like flanger, delay, pitch shifting. and quite often a light chorus.

19. yeah he used to use a BTB. Now he uses Gibson Thunderbirds I think. I don't really know, I hate them. I liked the first album though...

20. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    When people say "Cut your mids for tool" it makes me sick. they have no idea what their saying. The bassists tool have had (Paul, and justin) Use ALOT of midrange, just not certin freq's. Boost your upper mids a WHOLE lot. Around 1.6, And others around it. Then boost your around 100, Then you can leave the rest flat, or boost or cut whatever you think sounds out of place. Justin moved to Wal's for even MORE midrange than a freakin EB.