Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Justin Chancelor bass gear : Tool bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kridrazil, Apr 15, 2003.

1. kridrazil

kridrazil

Nov 10, 2002
    Does anyone know the gear (bass and amp) of Justin Chancelor, bassist of Tool ?

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    someone can correct this cause i might be off, but i think for recording both aenima and lateralis he used a mesa 400+ and a mes m2k. he ran both of those trhough 8x10 road ready cabinets (also mesa). and also the wal bass and a slew of effects. for live during aenima is was the same thing minus the 400+ add another m-2000 and a 2x15 road ready. then now for laterlis he apparently is using 2 m-pulse and a m2k for back up with the 2 8x10s.

3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    He uses Wal Basses for the large amounts of high-mids. I think it he has a signature model with them, I believe.

4. kridrazil

kridrazil

Nov 10, 2002
    Thanks for the info.

5. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    He does not have a sig Wal. He owns:

2 24-fret 4-string with birdseye maple facings and chrome hardware.
    1 24-fret 4-string with birdseye maple facings, greenburst finish.
    1 Mach II 4-string with American walnut facings and chrome hardware.

These were probably all custom-ordered to his specs, but not a signature bass.

A big factor in his sound that hasn't been mentioned is a Demeter preamp (outboard).

6. SquattingDog

SquattingDog

Oct 8, 2001
    Tennessee
    Yes he does. I saw the Justin Chancellor model on basscentral.com.

7. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Maybe it's the same configuration as he has, or maybe they exist but he doesn't own one (which would be kind of odd). But those are the basses he owns. Maybe on Wal's site, they don't call it his signature, they just list it by the specs. But that seems a bit silly to me. Never say never, I guess.

Edit: From the Wal website:

I highly doubt he has a signature if he's not an endorser. But put up a link to that one on BassCentral - I'm interested to see what it is.

edit again: Well, there is something being called "the Justin Chancellor model" as BassCentral. It's the one with the bird's eye top and back. Either I'm wrong (which is entirely possible), and it is in fact a signature bass, or it's just built to the same specs as his - which I suspect. That would really suck for him if he had to pay for his own signature. Keep in mind that I'm not omniscient, omnipotent, or omnipresent, so I could be totally wrong. First time for everything ;)

8. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    yea well in addition to that demeter he has the sans amp di and an eq pedal...so he uses a slew of tone shaping ****.

9. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Just go to the basscentral website and look in the Wal Section. There they have a "Justin Chancellor Model" bass for sale, as well as a Geddy Lee Model. Those are what I was refering to.

10. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
  11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    These are models that may be based on the artist who plays them (ie: Geddy or Justin Chancellor), but they are not paid endorsers, and as such, do not have signature models. They are basses designed like the artists' basses.

Here's a Geddy: [​IMG]If you go to the website, you'll see this is "Geddy" in quotes. It implies that it's modeled after Geddy's red Wal. It doesn't call it a Geddy signature.

Here's the Justin Chancellor: [​IMG]

12. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    As I suspected. Glad that's cleared up.

13. There was a whole rundown of his gear last year in Bass Player magazine. If you do a search you should be able to find a thread about it.

Wals are awesome instruments. I love mine.

14. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Wals are very good, intsruments, but there is no way that I could afford to put that kind of money into one bass. I would at least have to wait until after I get out of college. But I will eventually have one.

15. I have always loved the tone of Wals I have heard on Recordings(some of the best IMO), but I have never had a chance to play one.

16. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    I agree. Wals have amazing tone (never played one, though). I'm a bit biased becuase I'm such a fan, but I think Justin Chancellor's tone is fantastic, and the Wals obviously are a huge part. Just mind-blowing. I don't really like the way they look though. The Mach III is the best, but I would have to love the playability (already love the tone) to buy one.

I'm pretending to have something useful to say here - I really just wanted to say happy birthday Maynard! (he's 39 :eek: )

Actually, I just looked at the clock and it's 12:09 here in New Orleans, so I'm 9 minutes late. Oh well.

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Is MJK really 39? Guess I thought he was a bit younger than that.

I didn't know about the Demeter preamp. It seems that, in between a Wal and the BDDI/Mesa toobiness, it would have to be pretty radical to have a majority effect on the sound. I thought Demeters were of the pretty transparent ilk.

18. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    He is indeed. Tool's been around since '91, and before that, he sang in Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty, and played bass (!) in TexA.N.S. (Tex and the Anti-Nazi Squad). H'es been around for awhile. I think Danny Carey might even be a little older. Justin's the youngest. On the APC site, there's an interview with Maynard and Howerdel, where he mentions "young guys like us[me and Howerdel]". I thought that was pretty funny. I guess that's young in the scheme of the world, or if they were blues players or something, but it seems pretty old for what they do. Did you see Danny and Justin accept their Grammy? I bet all the nu-metal kids were appauled at a couple of old losers (Danny bore a striking resemblance to Kenny G, IIRC) winning for "Best Metal Performance".

I wouldn't say it has a majority effect, but he talks about it more than the Mesa's, so it's a big deal to him. Adam thinks a screw in one of his LPs is too important to remove, even though it serves no practical purpose. Whatever gets you your sound.

19. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Interesting. Don't forget that the band are somewhat notorious for spreading misinformation. . . ;) (mostly I'd guess that applies to the screw thing)

20. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    I know about the band's penchant for misinformation, but here:

<a href=http://toolshed.down.net/articles/index.php?action=view-article&id=September_2001--Australian_Guitar.html>full interview (with Adam and Justin, talking about the band and their setups)</a>