Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Justin from Tool???

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Ryan L., Feb 25, 2001.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    What do you guys think of Tool's Justin Chancellor's style of playing?

2. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Justin kicks the ****, man .. his style tho ? er, he plays with a pick .. not much to say, really. But i luv his tone, its crazy -- this semi-distorted, clicky sorta grunt .. cuts through real well, and he gets a fair bit more "hearage" than most bassists riding the new-metal wave - T00L ROCKS OUT!!!

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I guess I was a little vague with that question. I meant more along the lines of tone and stuff like that. I knew that he plays with a pick, but you gotta admit, he does have some pretty cool lines in a lot of their songs. And I agree--Tool kicks a**.

4. Yeah he does. He's a badass bassist. He plays really high, melodic, weird basslines, but that's what makes him so damn good!

5. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    so what if he does use a pick,
    i think it makes it sound better that way...

6. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    listen to the crazy harmonic riff he plays on "Intolerance" (off of the album "Undertow") and tell me that isn't just off the ****ing wall coolness ..

7. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    Justin Kicks major A$$!!!!! I think he's great. Cool tone (using a pick sounds damn good in my opinion) great basslines. Check out his old bands' CD Peach some pretty cool stuff (not as cool as TOOL but hey not much is)

Actually that's not Justin, that's TOOL's original bassist Paul D'Amour who is also quite good. I really like his crazy harmonic riff's on Intolerance, and Swamp Song. He left just as they went in to record Aenima.

8. i like tool, tool are good, i only have the undertow album, i should buy the others...hmmmm, yes i should...

9. Tool are one of my original fave bands, i like undertow and aenima the same but in different ways. the bassline from the song 'aenima' is cool