Justin or Kelly?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Boplicity, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

OK, folks, this week is the grand finale of "American Idol." If you have been watching, you know that the show has eliminated all but Justin and Kelly.

Which one of the two do you think has a legitimate shot at winning? Do you think the winner will be able to come up with a best selling CD? Do you think the winner has enough talent and charisma to have a long lasting career in music?

I think either Kelly or Justin or both could succeed (whether they are the final winner or not.) I think either is as good as many top selling acts today, but often luck plays a part in eventual success.
  2. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    have you noticed that paula always agrees with
    everything that randy say's,and even simon like's
    everyone now..
    it's a shame that tamara got the boot because she
    was the better singer hands down:confused:
  3. Boplicity

I agree that Tamara has exceptional talent and can stand up against seasoned performers like Whitney Houston or Celine Dionne. I was totally perplexed as to why Tanmara was booted and have theorized that most of those who vote are from a young demographic. Thus Nikki, Kelly and Justin would naturally appeal more to them.

Tamara, in contrast, has an ideal voice and look for R&B. That music does not have such broad appeal to the younger voters. That does not mean Tamara can not enjoy success as an R&B diva. If she is promoted correctly, I see no reason why she can't compete with the likes of Whitney or Celine.

As for Paula Abdul...have you noticed she seldom says a singer was sharp or flat or similar technical comments about the music, while Randy Jackson has a highly developed ear and calls a deficiency immediately? I remember when Paula was at the height of her career. I recall having read comments that she couldn't carry a tune and required extensive "tweaking" by recording engineers. There was even speculation, unproven of course, that she was another bogus Millie/Vanili.

Her strength was in coreography, not vocals. I think she is a pretty good judge of performance and charisma, but not technical aspects of singing. She does tend to be too much of the mediator between Jackson and Cowels. If one of them is especially rough, she tries to soothe over the pain their comments cause the contestants. Maybe her tender heart is needed. Why destroy the confidence of a contestant this late in the game?

Furthermore, Simon HAS to praise these contestants now. Why? Because he has to get behind the top finishers so he can push their careers. Sniping at them now will be counterprooductive. All the praise he hands out now is cleverly designed to begin his marketing campaign for them. If they look good now, he looks good too.
  4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I wanted Nikki to win...:(

she was pretty hot I thought...

Although I think Justin will win. All of the teen girls will vote for him...

As we know by n*sync always getting the #1 video. The teen girls are more loyal and obsessive than anyone else in the world...
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    in true bunnybass tradition...

6. Isn't Kelly the girl who looks suspiciously like Reese Witherspoon?

Rock on
  7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i was a big tamyra fan, too!

i want kelly to win. i thought she was the next best with christina christian a close third.
  8. Boplicity

In my opinion they don't "all suck". Any performer who can reach the top three in eliminations with a base of 1000 original contestants must have something on the ball.

I think, though, resentment may come from the perception that the winner did not pay his/her dues, by "coming up the hard way." Instead the winner was "fast tracked" only by dint of being in a well hyped TV contest.

Another handicap these contestants face is that they have sung covers, often from a select period of years or a select style that is demanded of them. They may not have been able to really shine by singing the style of their choice.

I would hope that the eventual winner will be given a choice of original music in a style that really showcases their strengths when they record their album.

One other comment, these contestants may appear "to suck" because their orientation is pop. Evidently any contestant inclined toward heavy metal, country, Latin, gospel, reggae or other less lucrative forms of music was not welcomed into the program.
  9. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think they suck just like every other "musician" who was created and promoted by MTV or the record companies sucks. i think they suck just like artists who have a team of writers suck. the only reason people like this become popular is because, even though they may have some stage presence or hot look or good voice, people don't know any better. they don't know that there is music outside of what is popular, or they don't think it's cool to like something that isn't what everyone else likes. the music they like is like wearing a popular brand of clothing or using certain slang - it's just to fit in.

and whenever the "winner" ends up making a record, it will be popular. because the media has jammed this down everyones throats and people just keep asking for more.

...rant over.
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That rant covers early Motown, among other things.

Sounds like you're saying that even if they have talent, they suck. Interesting.

I think Kelly should win. The girl can flat out sing.

Between the corny squat-dancing, posturing and mugging for the camera, Justin just strikes me as a big ass ham ( thanks, Letterman). Then again, this could be just what they're looking for. Oh well.

Tamara got voted off because she didn't get as many votes as the other three. Simple, probably painfully so for her.

I like Nikki but she didn't have the chops of the other three, even in songs she was comfortable in.
  11. DrunkenJoker84

May 11, 2001
    never seen an entire episode, and never seen one of them actually perform, but i imagine they have at least some singing talent. why would they be there otherwise? people who have writers for them are not good musicians in my opinion, though they may still be good singers. i dont like american idol, but i respect everyone who has a talent that can take them that far.
  12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Guess that makes Sinatra and Elvis hacks;)
  13. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Doesnt Justin bear a strange resemblence to Eric Carmen formerly of the Raspberries? Or is it just me?

14. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

in my opinion....yes. while they may be great singers (and i'll acknowledge that easily) i feel as the whole "package" they fall short.

and when i listen to motown, i'm listening to the band - not whatever person they stick in front of them. but that's just me ;)

FLAME SUIT........ON!
  15. Kelly should win but we've seen that the voting population can vote out the true talent (Tamiyra) and allow the karioke (sp?) bar regulars (Nikki) to continue. Justin just flat out does nothing for me. Boring!

I love Simon. He's just stirring the pot to keep the ratings high!
  16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    No flames here, that's your opinion. IMO if you're just listening to the band you're missing a lot. They put Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye in front of them, among other things. By your logic, Ella Fitzgerald, Joe Cocker, Billie Holliday, David Bowie and a host of others would fall short. Interesting.

Not saying you're doing this but I know a bunch of bass players who only listen to bass... there's a lot to be learned from everything that's going on.

This "whole package" idea has me curious... who IYO has the "whole package"?

BTW Elvis played guitar.
  17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

did i just say that?:D
  18. Boplicity

I guess I'm still stumbling over the notion that one cannot be a great singer unless one writes one's own music. So in the same vein one would not be a great pianist unless one wrote one's own music...that means the many exemplary concert pianists who ply the concert circuit are not great talents.

For me, I can't see the logic. If you write your own stuff, great. But if you can bring someone else's composition to life, that's great too. Afterall, the one who wrote the music might not be able to sing it well at all. Names like Cole Porter, George Gershwin, Irving Berlin, Johnny Mercer all come to mind. They wrote fabulous music, but other artists gave it life and made it immortal.