Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Justyn's 'New Home for Barney' sale.

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Justyn, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    So, a month or so ago I was trolling around the TB Classifieds and Bazz was selling a great five-string Warmoth for an absurdly good price, so I jumped on it, thinking I had a few bits around the workshop that I could use to upgrade it. Meanwhile, GW put Barney up for sale and I foamed at the mouth for a bit, but couldn't justify another bass. Now that Barney is back on the market and I'm finished the upgrades/refin of the 5-string, I'd like to see if I can sell one to make some money towards the other. I play mostly a 6-string fretless and I'd like to add a nice fretted counterpart.

So...up for sale is my current Warmoth. Here are the details:

*Maple neck with maple fingerboard, both finished in nitrocellulose laquer.
    *Alder Deluxe 5 body with some nice grain to it, finished in tung oil and wax.
    * Bartolini M4 dual-coil humbucker.
    *Schaller roller bridge, drilled for string-through or top load stringing.
    *Bartolini NTBT 2-band preamp
    *Controls are volume (with push pull coil tap-activates bridge-side coil only) and stacked bass/treble boost/cut.
    *Strung with new Fodera Stainless Steel Rounds.
    *Schaller tuners (hipshot ultralite shown in photos, but I'm making them optionsal for an extra $75))
    *Fully shielded control cavity (just one of the things I added...)

The best way I can describe the tone is clear and piano-like. I've also had some flats on here and it absolutely killed. I've added the preamp and the coil tap to give the single pickup configuration added versatility. I've also uilt a Willis-style ramp that I haven't attached yet that I'll include. I'm asking. Based on the parts and the work involved, I'm asking for $375 shipped, but by all, means make me an offer so I can get some money together to give Barney a new home.

Thanks,
    J.

2. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Here's the back of the body...couple of scratches I never got around to sanding out here.

J.

3. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
  4. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Price lowered to $350. Last bump before parting out on Ebay. All offers considered.

Thanks much,
    J.

5. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    how heavy? (how much does the) neck dive?

6. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    I'll give it the bathroom scale test this afternoon when I get a chance. It's pretty light overall. The neck doesn't dive at all with the currently-installed Hipshot ultralites (which I wasn't going to include but will be happy to do so for an extra bit o' cash) and with the Schallers that were on it before it didn't dive either, but it did sit a little lower overall then it does now. I actually just put the ultralites on because I wa thinking I'd add a d-tuner if I strung it EADGC and while it was perfectly comfortable with the Schallers, I figured the added weight of a d-tuner would make it actually start to dive.

Hope that helps, and I'll be back with a rough weight later today.

Thanks,
    J.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    How wide at the nut?

8. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    The neck is 1 7/8" (48mm) wide at the nut and, while I'm at it, 2.906" (74mm) at the heel.

Thanks,
    J.

9. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    So my creaky old bathroom scale puts the bass at around 7lbs. I think this is a highly suspect number, but on second consideration, it's a fairly lightweight bass, but let me dig up another scale and see if I can't get a more reliable reading.

Thanks,
    J.