1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

jvgreene with Matt Prater at Rattlesnake Saloon in Tuscumbia, AL

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jvgreene, Nov 27, 2018.

1. jvgreene

jvgreene Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2014
    N. Alabama
    I've always wanted to post a gig story from this place but I never remember to take enough photos. We play here multiple times every summer and it's always one of my favorite venues. This band plays traditional country and it fits really well with the 'ambiance' of this place. Just a cool unique place to play and I'm thankful for the privilege!

Anyway, these are a few pics I've collected from the past few years.

Rattlesnake Saloon is a cool saloon tucked under a rock just outside of Tuscumbia, AL.
    IMG_1695.JPG

Getting down to the saloon is a really steep hill. Most people park at the top and either walk down or ride in the back of the 'saloon taxi', an F-250 with benches in the back. The band gets to drive down, here is my trusty old pathfinder parked in front while we unload. you can see the seating area under the cave and the stage in the back where our fiddler is setting up.
    IMG_1694.JPG

A view of the valley floor just down the hill from the cave.
    IMG_0582.JPG

The Pathfinder packed up tight. Inside is my bass rig, Matt's guitar and stuff and the PA. It all fits but just barely!
    IMG_1992.JPG

At the top of the hill, this is the entrance to the saloon area. You drive down the road right in the middle there. It's pretty steep, but they have concrete on the steepest bit now a bit like a boat launch ramp.
    IMG_2832.JPG

The stage at an earlier gig. We don't typically bring a drummer these days, I guess Matt felt like getting loud that night. Also have upgraded some of our equipment since.
    IMG_0585.JPG

View from behind the bass on a particularly damp evening.
    IMG_2562.JPG

Panorama from the stage.
    IMG_0897_smaller.

Fearless bandleader between songs, this was that damp evening earlier this year.
    IMG_2563.JPG

More current picture, it's nice to have that bass stand now, I prefer it when the stage is concrete at I have space in the truck!
    IMG_2686.JPG
    Just another view of the stage tucked up under the rock.
    IMG_2834.JPG

My current bass rig: a '39 King Mortone with Lenzner guts and a Fishman Fullcircle, Platinum +EQ, Markbass LMIII and a Greenboy F-112. In the back is a p-bass I bring as backup.
    IMG_3092.JPG

Well there you have it! It's always a fun gig, I'm looking forward to them picking back up sometime in April. Look this place up if you're ever in the Muscle Shoals area, it's a cool spot!

Attached Files:

SWRnut, JimK, birminghambass and 23 others like this.
  2. Wow, that location is beyond cool. I would imagine that drums would not have to hit very hard to echo under a large rock shelf like that.

Your car packing skills look very similar to what I like to call "adult tetris" when I load up my Edge with gear.

Thanks for that gig review, great photos!

JimK, Oddly, Kitsapbass and 2 others like this.
  3. jvgreene

Mar 11, 2014
    N. Alabama
    Thanks sir! Yeah we typically just play a trio at that place.

There is something satisfying about getting everything in the car. But it would be nice to be able to see out of the back sometimes!

Kitsapbass and WI Short Scaler like this.
  4. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Neat place .. what were the acoustics like in the cave?

jvgreene likes this.
  5. jvgreene

Mar 11, 2014
    N. Alabama
    Pretty good, not as echo-y as you would think. I turn off all reverb in the mixer when we play there.

Crowd noise can get loud if there is a big crowd. but I don't think anyone has any problems hearing us. Always get compliments on the sound there.

dbase likes this.
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

This is absolutely fabulous! What a cool place to play. The rock walls, ceiling, and floor might take some special EQ but what an environment to play! Seems like a beautiful spot to make some good ol' country music and enjoy a few libations. I see you're right there by the Tennessee River. That's a beautiful part of the country. Thanks for taking the time to share your gig. Great stuff.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Kitsapbass and jvgreene like this.
  7. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    What a great place to play!! ...and for a BAR!! Hey, if anybody ever asks about weird places you've played, just say "Well once, we played behind a waterfall!" That's so cool - thanks for posting!

Kitsapbass and jvgreene like this.
  8. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Excellent report! That's one of the coolest venues I've ever seen. I was wondering about the sound in the cave too. Good that it's not an issue. As for crowd noise reflecting off the cave ceiling, it certainly should amplify any applause. :thumbsup:

jvgreene likes this.
  9. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    Cool gig! Thank you for sharing it and I love your dawg house and guts! Looks like a really cool place to play and looks like a really fun band too! I bet that LM and F112 setup is fantastic.

Enjoyed it !
    Pbass888

jvgreene likes this.
  10. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Simply stunning! Love the pictures. Thanks for sharing the gig!

jvgreene likes this.
  11. jvgreene

Mar 11, 2014
    N. Alabama
    Thanks Cliff! The eq is not really all the special, after ringing out the monitors and making sure all the channels are sitting pretty in the mix it's not all that different than a normal bar gig. It's a bit of a natural amphitheater, maybe!

The whole Shoals area is really great, lots of musical history too. Check out the Muscle Shoals documentary on Netflix sometime!

Believe it or not this isn't even the weirdest cave I've played in lol. Saving that story for a 'gig disasters' thread.

Thanks sir! When I got the f112 I thought I might have to upgrade the Markbass. But it's been fine! Plenty loud for me and I really dig the sound of it.

BassCliff likes this.
  12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Sweet pics of an awesome venue!

Thanks for posting them!

jvgreene likes this.
  13. Such a COOL venue!!!!

jvgreene likes this.
  14. stringthrough

stringthrough Supporting Member

Hope you rocked those rocks.

jvgreene likes this.
  15. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Wow! What a cool and unique place!

Thanks for sharing! :bassist:

jvgreene likes this.
  16. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    That's one hell of a rock! Totally awesome venue! Curious: Where is this in relation to the Tennessee River?

Muscle Shoals! If you see David Hood somewhere, tell him I said "Hi." :D

jvgreene likes this.
  17. what a awesome venue , looks like a great place to play.

jvgreene likes this.
  18. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Yep, we got a ton of natural wonders here.
    I knew about the place but had no idea they brought in live music. It’s like the polar opposite of Horse Pens. Thanks for sharing

jvgreene likes this.
  19. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    A natural country cave. Amazing. Sure, @BassCliff plays a lot of swanky gigs, but even he's never reported from underneath several million tons of solid rock. Simply beautiful, and I'll bet it sounds even better than it looks. :thumbsup:

BassCliff and jvgreene like this.
  20. jvgreene

Mar 11, 2014
    N. Alabama
    Yeah! It's probably 10-15 miles from the river. It's out in the middle of Colbert county. If I see David Hood anywhere I'm probably going to go all Wayne's World 'we're not worthy' on him!

BassCliff and Bunk McNulty like this.