1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jymie Merritt: What instrument on Lee Morgan's "Live at the Lighthouse"?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by LowG, Oct 31, 2013.

1. LowG

LowG Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    It is listed in the liner notes as "Ampeg Bass", but I'm wondering which model he might have used on this album, or what model he was known to use. Is it a Baby Bass, or an AEB/AUB-1, or AMB/AMUB-1 (or something I'm overlooking)?

Great playing on that LP (on bass and all around), and I really like that punchy deep bass sound with short sustain.

Edit: I know that this would technically be for the "electric bass side" of the forum, but I thought the double bassists may have more familiarity with Mr. Merritt given his pedigree.

2. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    If I recall correctly he made his own electric upright, or something to that effect. I did some sleuthing about him a few years ago, because he's always been one of my favorites. As far as I know, he's still alive. You should give him a call. I would guess someone in Philadelphia has his number. It's a big city.

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    He is still alive and last time I checked played a semi-regular gig at a steak house in Philly.

4. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    It was the Baby Bass.