Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

K&K Bass Master Pro Issue

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bobbykokinos, Jan 7, 2006.

1. I've been having an issue with this pickup for quite a while. Only on open D, and D on the A string, I'm getting a huge amount of, I guess you can call, feedback. I dont know if the D string is know for sympathetic vibrations or what, but its gotten to the point that I have to put the upright down and play electric. On swinging charts that the changes move around, its not a big issue. But on ballads, or songs like Impressions with the Dm, it just unbearable.

What is causing this and how can it be fixed?? I'm using an Aguilar 1x12 and a GK 700 RB. I would say its my position, where I'm playing relative to the amp, but it does it in just about any location I play..

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Do you get the same emphasis on the D when you play acoustic only?

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Have you tried muting the afterlength of the strings? That open D is a notoriously overpowering note on many basses I've played, and the BMP picks up a lot of afterlength noise.

4. No, I dont. Atleast, none that I have noticed.

5. Pardon my ignorance, but what do you suggest for muting? Could you send me a link to where I could purchase the correct mute?

Out of habit, Ive gotten use to fingering the D (on the A) with my index finger and muting with my other 3 fingers.. It just gets old after a while..

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I use strips of foam, but you can use leather, felt, a scarf, a small towel...a handtowel or a belt woven tightly through/around the afterlength should at least let you know if this is where some of your noise is coming from

7. Afterlength? You mean between the bridge and the tail piece, right?

8. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Yup.

9. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
  10. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    bobbykokinos, just curious if muting the string's afterlengths on your bass per Chris Fitzgeralds's suggestions had any positive impact on your open D problem.

In thinking about the K&K Bass Master Pro, the cable jack that clips onto the D and A strings actually can dampen the afterlengths to an extent I believe. So you already have a sort of built-in afterlength damper for the D and A if you will.

My only novel suggestion at this point would be to try sliding that jack clip piece north and south between the bridge and the tailpiece. On my bass, in certain positions that jack clip seemed to generate a unique buzzing or "wolf tone" like sound on certain notes. If I moved the jack clip up or down, the undesirable buzzing sound would disappear.

Maybe it will make that extra resonance on your D disappear too. I dunno.

11. I tried a small wash rag woven between the strings. I seems to have helped a bit. There is still some feedback that occurs but it wasnt nearly as annoying at the last gig as it was before.

12. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    All right, cool, that's a start!

Now the K&K Bass Master Pro is really two sets of pickups in one stereo unit, right?

So I am curious - If you just use the Bass Max part (i.e. the wing slot pickup), and turn off the volume for the Double Big Twin elements, do you get the same effect on the open D?

And the obvious follow up - If you just use the Double Big Twin pickups (i.e. the four elements that you "stick" to the bridge), and turn down the volume all the way on the Bass Max channel, how does the open D sound?

13. Yes the BMP pickups have a stereo output that goes stereo into the preamp.. Then out of the preamp into the amp as mono.

Yes, turning down the wing pickup does minimize the feed back but I don't like the sound of the big twin by itself.. Too bright for my taste..

So, to answer your questions, YES - YES - YES but hardly noticable..

14. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Okay, understood. Thanks.

I have to go back to Chris Fitzgeralds's post about open D's being quite strong on many basses when played acoustically. My bass is like that ... the D is the loudest of the open strings.

It doesn't really bother me playing with or without an amp though ... It's never been such a pronounced difference that it drove me crazy or anything.

Did sliding the K&K jack clip on the afterlengths north & south have any impact? Like I said earlier, in certain positions that thing acted kinda like a wolf tone generator on my bass.

Oh well, I've spent my intellectual capital here, which ain't much. Wish I had a better answer for ya. I just dunno.