K&K Bass Max cable?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Pete OLeary, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Thinking of getting a K&K Bass Max. I understand the jack for the pickup attaches to the afterlength of the string ala Fishman.
    I am concerned about 2 things. First is that the strings I'm going to be using (garbos) have a very thin plastic leader material. (All Hail) Bob points out that the metal tabs on the K&K jack can be bent to accomodate this, though I am a bit wary because I dont think that having metal abrading at this thin plastic leader could be a good thing. Bob also offered to have a Bass Max specially made with a long lead for attachment at the tailpiece (gotta love this guy).
    My other concern about the lead is that it is fat. I have some experience installing and even making piezo transducers for string instruments and one thing I found to be of great importance is that the leads to the transducers need to be thin. The transducers are so hot that the leads tend to get microphonic and cause all kinds of nasty phase problems. Thin leads help to decouple the transducer from the lead.
    Any thoughts or experiences about this from Bass Max users?
  2. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I used to use the Bass Max with Velvet strings and I unscrewed the plate that holds it between the strings and attached it to the tailpiece with velcro cord control instead. Worked fine; the wire was just long enough when stretched out straight. I wish I could figure out a way to do this with my Schertler which eats away at the silk tail wrapping over the gut of my Olivs and Eudoxas.

I think the lead is fat because it is a wrapping around thin leads to protect them. I never had any phase or microphonic problems, and can't remember any feedback at all. I hang onto it in case I need to play with a big band or in a situation where I want to be loud with a decent sound. IMHO opinion it doesn't sound as natural as my Schertler Dyn-B or AKG C3000, but for under $100 it is the best sounding pickup I've used regardless of price (except the Schertler Stat and Dyn-B), which includes Fishman, Underwood, Realist, Barcus Berry, SuperSensetive, and Schatten. YMMV.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I can verify this. I own 2 "double" Bass Maxes, one of which I wired myself. The fat gray tubing is just insulation for the two thin leads inside. You can even feel it if you pinch it with your finger.